Re: Cincinnati here I come

Lisa wants to know where to live in Cinci... hrm...

first of all, jwolp at juno_com sez:
> Yeah, I'm a smartass.  But seriously, whaddya lookin' for?  What kinda $$
>  you willing to spend?  I live in Clifton since I'm a student at UC.  It's
>  pretty crappy right here, but the price is right.  There are some nice
>  areas of Clifton, too, though, if you like an "urban campus" sorta scene.
>   There's also some nice non-campus apartments that are convenient to
>  downtown across the river in Covington, and in other parts of the city.
>  Let us know what you're looking for...

yay Clifton! i lived there for five years - first Lowell, and
then Emming Street. i loved it, there were *always* things
to do, and my very favorite part of Cincinnati is the Ludlow
strip. everything is so concentrated in that area, and every
time i look around at my Planet Livonia here, i sigh from
utter boredom.

however, Lisa - there are some drawbacks to residence in
Clifton! the very nature of it is college-driven, and the
occasional late night of non-cerebral drunken frat kids (grrrr!)
hollering in the summer streets left me bloodthirsty. it's not
*that* bad or frequent, just enough to jump my threshold bar
of annoyance.

                        ~ the Clifton conclusion ~
if you're a student or 20-something with no real career,
it's the whip, and there should be no other option.

if you're a professional and have a real freakin' job,
consider indian hill (but only if you pull down 300K's a year)

if i ever move back to that glorious city, i know i'd probably
live in Clifton again.

my STRONG recommendation:

stay *away* from the Short Vine area and Walnut Hills.
bad, bad, bad. (note: this is where Bogart's is, 'member?)

go *towards* the Ludlow strip. worst thing that'll happen to
you there is... well, maybe some liberal birkenstock-
wearin' tree-hugger will strike up a conversation with you.
nice area, nice folks, great places for food and coffee and
curiosities of all kinds.

i never felt out of place there really - you blend in if you're
in office attire, you blend in if you're wearing latex or pvc vinyl.

i'd move back there if i could keep my same job i have now,
however, that's just not, well...

other areas to note off-hand:

Western Hills - it's ok, cleaner than some areas, cleaner than
Price Hill, wealthier than Price Hill. home of my *long* ago
employer, Circle CD's.
this is (IIRC) predominantly a germanish area of middle-agers
who spend half their lives squeezing pennies with shaky fingers.
residency drawback: boring. VERY boring.

Price Hill - it's alright, i lived there for awhile... some disturbing
pictures i recall: two to five year olds playing in the street with
no shoes on or parental supervision in the cold snow of winter,
marky-mark/'nilla ice lookalikes around every corner. not too
dangerous or anything, just, oooohh.... you get the pic.

Northside - it's above Clifton. it's home to the Comet bar and the
former Blue Jordan coffeehouse. housing should still be cheap,
but it was on a steady increase when i was down there. the
forecast sez that this will be a great area to live in awhile from
now. conclusion - it's ok.

Over the Rhine - the people here are not shy.

oh, there are lots of other areas, just depends if you wanna
shell out the bucks for it.

OH YES! sorry, forgot to congratulate you on the job, Lisa.
the way this reads - are you going to be working in the
*jewelry store* there, or just in the old P&G bldg that
has the jewelry store?

(my, my... the many rumours i've heard about what
has gone on in the top of that very building!)

all for now, happy hunting,

jay

NP: OtR - Anyway - live.mp3

"When I first came to town
All the people gathered round
They bought me drinks
Lord, how quickly they changed their tune"
Nick Cave - When I First Came To Town
<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
	^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
          http//members.aol.com/jaharnish2