* Star Wars * (some spoilers)

Kent M. Nebergall@TIMEWEB
05/25/99 10:51 AM

I camped, I saw, I saw again.

The Padme thing seems to be an allusion to the clone wars, since she is a
clone (I think it said this on the web site).  They do appear in the same
scenes, but that's not particularly high tech.  What struck me the second
time through is the CG characters  touching people with effect, as though
they were painted over an actor.

Spielberg and Lucas are friends, so the ET thing is probably an inside joke
between them.  I also noticed "Willow" in the box for the race.

I noticed a number of things in the credits the second time through.

I didn't see a credit for Darth Sideous, apparently so it will be less
obvious that he and Senator Palpatine are, I suspect, the same person.
There is a credit for the voice of Darth Maul, so even the two lines that
actor actually had are dubbed.  He was already pretty much a bogeyman
jumping out of closets.
One credit was something like "Production team fueled by..... Javva The
Hutt".  Must be the in-house coffee shop.
The computer graphic artist credits go on forever.  The remaining audience
burst into laughter at this point.
At the very, very end of the credits and music, the breathing of Darth
Vader is clearly heard.

It has really good replay value.  It's nice to not worry about spoilers and
such and just enjoy it.  The race is in some ways at least as good the
second time.  It borrows elements from jet dragsters, motorcycles,
chariots, twin engine aircraft, and automotive racing, in about that order.
I also loved the fact that one racer made a pulse sound as it went by -
like they were trying for the sound of a twin engine prop plane when the
propellers are out of synch with each other. Any twin pilot gently synchs
the props at almost all times so they won't be embarrassed or annoyed with
themselves at making that "warb, warb, warb" noise as the sound and
anti-sound of each prop alternately builds and cancels the sound of the
other.  If you ride in a twin, you will probably only hear this when the
pilot is changing throttle settings.  Pilots consider it, for lack of a
better word, rude, to not synch your engines, since everyone in a one mile
radius will hear you on the ground.  Rude pilot is a good designation for
the pod racer in the film making this noise, so I wonder if it's another
side joke.  That, and every racer makes a different noise as it goes by, so
I suspect that when they tried to match sound samples with vehicles, they
thought - yeah, give the rude guy that one.

- Kent