Re: Kent Lostees, My Love Is A Fever, and Pool.

hi.
our friend dusty volume (mark) said,

>This is really hard to explain, but I haven't felt this way about the
>band before.  I was initially going to do everything in my power to get
>to Bogarts next weekend, but now it doesn't seem worth it.

oh, bloody great!  first i expect to catch hell from Linford, with him
telling me in a very angry tone something like, "that was really not your
announcement to make, was it, jg?  don't you think it should have come from
me?"  (yes, i do, sorta,  but here's this discussion list and this is pretty
much it's raison d'etre, no?   Chris, did i spell that right?  i don't know
any french!  and if ~anything~ merits  discussion....)
and now i am to blame for mark wanting to boost his GPA!.

but wait, Mark, once i put out of my mind, as best i could, of the impending
doom of the band,  i had a great time at the Brady's gig.  they played well,
if loose and more than a little forgettfully (is that a word, Gardner?), but
that just added to the whole charm of the night.  (IMO, as always).

Don't skip it,  and it's likely there's SO MUCH more to this story than what
i was able to glean from Brian in 5 minutes,  right?   And i was far more
saddened about the news than Brian seemed to be,  so it was a mutual split,
it seemed,  not Linford flexing his muscles necessarily.
I must wait for the rest of the story to unfold, and i expect a pleasant
outcome.   no room for pessimism.

go to the show, Mark.  don't skip it on my account.  i'd feel shitty if you
did.  (i hate to feel shitty!)

>sans BK now--who cares about a slapped down coupla tracks of Linford
>playing?

ummm,  ~you~ will later, that's who.

>I just cant get excited about going to cincy to see Brian leave.

then go for Jessyka!

>And I  originally thougt it would be good to go since the band would
>need all the financial support they could get--you know all the price of
>admission, and all the money from the sale of the CD's... I thought it
>would be cool if they ran out of discs to sell.  But they just bought
>Costello's entire catalog?  I couldn't afford to do that!

there's lot's of things i can't afford.  i don't begrudge my wealthier
friends their luxuries.

>  How many dics
>has the man put out?  He's been pretty prolific.  I'd venture to say
>that with his solo releases, with the attractions, and various
>others--bacharach ect, there would be at least 15-20 discs here, right?

i have 23 Costello discs, and i don't have the Bacharach one,  so that's 24.
and there may be more.

>At an average of $10 a disc, which is a pretty low average, were talking
>about $150 to $200.  I'm thinking the band might be doing pretty
>well---or is this one of the perks you get by taking bandmembers off the
>payroll for 6-8 months?  Less mouths to feed = more money for the few
>members left.

too cynical for me, my friend.  how 'bout that's one of the perks you get by
being in a rock 'n' roll band.    one of the perks you get when you tour a
few countries with the Cowboy Junkies and sell your wares at every gig.
one of the perks you get when a gig in a little town four hours or better
from your home sells out to the tune of 158 people at 8 and 10 bucks a pop.
Linford and Karin moved into an old Victorian house in some Cincy
neighborhood,  that's not some old clapped out beater they drive their gear
around in,  and now they have some Costello CD's.   i have no problem with
that.  neither should you.

another thought:  maybe they're just bored!  maybe they're just sick of
doing the same stuff and they want to go in another direction.  but, then ,
another part of me says,  "if they're sick of doing the same stuff, they can
draw from all the material that we never hear from anymore.  who wouldn't
dig hearing Jack wail through  __daddy untwisted__  or __sleep baby jane__
or anything off the hardly dipped into __eve__album?   they've got plenty to
choose from.

i don't know.  about all i know now is that maybe i shoulda kept my big
mouth closed.

 feeling a  little like Chicken Little or Henny Penny, whichever one it was
that said the sky was falling.   maybe it's not falling.
jg