Re: Threads

> Dana McCullough <danamcc at netscape_net> wrote:
> What I wanted to say is, yes, Mike, we got a little out of line with the
> weirdo stuff.  I admit it.  There have been many conversations on this li=
> st
> that get like that.  I think that what I (and some others) are bothered b=
> y is
> that the discussion has gone on for like 80 years and gotten a little abs=
> urd
> (ie comments like "f- yourself," and long, boring accounts of historical
> events)  I am happy that so many of you know so much about world history =
> and
> it is interesting, but it does get kind of boring after a while.  Yes, I =
> know
> that I can delete the messages, and most of them I did after a while.  It=
>  was
> really the personal attacks that made the thread unbearable for me.

I wasn't so much complaining, just noting that "the thread" was not
really any less OtR related than a lot of other threads.  Not that
I see a real problem with that.  When I first started reading the
list a couple months ago, I was surprised at how little real OtR
content their was.  But I agree with whoever said (Gardner I think)
that the list should be a place for people with a common interest
to talk about whatever interests them, not just OtR.  A lot of the
more prolific writers apparently know each other personally, so
there are strings that are more private - which is fine, I just
ignore them.  (BTW, I find it easier to pick and choose what I read
by using the web mirror.)

Anyway, enough rambling about that.  The discussion was going on
without too many nasty comments, but as soon as I said no one was
not liking anyone else yet, some people got their feelings hurt
over what seemed to me to be very obvious sarcasm and the whole
thread degraded into name calling.  Sarcasm is a tricky tool to
use in a text media with people you don't know, and smiley faces
don't always make things better.  (I'd say they're a nuisance.)
When discussing a contentious issue with people you don't know,
especially when you hold opposing viewpoints, it's better to err
on the side of too gentle than too harsh.  If you wrote something
and feel you need to add a smiley face to ensure it won't be
misinterpreted, then you should consider rephrasing your comment.

Last but not least, for those who would be List Police, this
string lasted what, two weeks?  If that.  And then fizzled out
of its own accord, except the name-calling, which seems to be
almost done.  Unless someone starts to be continually
belligerent, I don't see much reason to start making rules.
Online, things seem to work better if you keep the written rules
to a minimum and let the community collectively mediate itself.
(Which means I do think that friendly reminders have their place.)

Wow, that was long and boring.  Sorry for all the meta-discussion
but I hope it will clear the air some.  On a better note, thanks
to everyone who responsed with comments about Sixpence None The
Richer.  I'll definitely enrich their coffers soon.  Sentiment
seems to favor their second album.

---
Mike.            Nevertheless, I didn't heed the warning  Of my pending fate
alchemy at crl_com    It's my practice to disregard omens  Until it is too late

Follow-Ups: References: