Re: goth

> that made the real life begin.  and if you think that otr is gothic then
> you have got some serious dyxlexic tendencies.

Is this an insult?  Since when did Dyslexic (which is what I think you meant
to be saying ;-P) become mean name to call someone else in order to prove
that you are right and their argument is obviously flawed.  What was said
initially, and I know because I said it, was that the only classification
that I could find to adequately describe OtR's music was "Gothic Folk."
When you sing songs about dead lovers visiting their husbands from the
afterlife, and being chained up, and mention the word turpentine in what
should rightfully be a "lullaby" (making it a murder ballad???  I want
pretend to be the authority on this one, especially not on this list), then
you must accept that you have some dark elements to your music.  Now then...
on to the rest of it.

Two words for you:  Nick Cave.  Thank you.  My point is made there.

Further information.  The Sisters of Mercy (one of the premiere "gothic"
bands) most likely got their name from a 1960's Leonard Cohen song.  Even if
this is not the case, the lead singer has stated many times that Cohen (a
folk singer in all aspects other than lyrical quality) is a prime influence.

Further:  Folk songs.  Traditional folk songs are often INCREDIBLY dark.
Lovers kill each other.  Murder is common place.  Wives leave noble houses
for the life of a gypsy.  Women are raped.  Men are used.  There is no
reason (other than a part of the pop culture of 1960) why the genre of Folk
and Goth should be considered mutually exclusive.  Yz has already mentioned
many Folk singers who are vastly accepted in the Goth community.  I've just
mentioned more.

No, OtR are NOT Goth.  But when one is trying to struggle to define their
music (which I consider to be an idiotic and academic endeavor) than pairing
these two styles comes up with a good description.  Especially for the songs
where they have searing guitars.  The rifs and cord progressions used by OtR
quite often remind me of things performed by artists wearing black.

Which brings me to my final point.  The first person to dress all in black.
Folk singer.  Do I even have to give his name?

I walk the line.

> merely because one happens to sing about a certain subject every once in a
> while does not make them a definite part of a category.  i may
> write a song about suicice once in my life but does that make me goth??

Nope.  It certainly doesn't, BUT (please re-read my above argument, I don't
feel like restating myself.

> no.  suicide is not the exclusive domain of Goth music.

Of course not.  It's been a topic of folk music for ages.  Goth just
happened to be influenced by (and to later accept folk into it's genre).
Note in the description Gothic Folk, Gothic is a secondary modifier.  Folk
is still the primary adjective.

> and thank you for your support

How about lack there of?

Gardner.

--
"To err is human, to kill so that one may be an heir is homicide"

Brian Gardner, "Twisted Quotes"