Re: This Header is dumb (was Re: This is dumb)

Hm!

>> I find the idea of writing to your "fans" asking them if you should "go
>> big" or stay "ma-n-pop" to be offensive.
>
>Over The Rhine do not have fans.  They have listeners.  They have listeners
>that have shared a journey with them

Hey, I'm a fan. What is this, Semantics 101? Don't speak for me, and I won't
speak for you.

>least).  We support eachother.  Start reading posts, and you'll see the
>comunity that this is.

I've been reading posts for a couple years now, and I generally make
judicious use of my delete key. I can only see the phrase HTH! a few times
in one day without rolling my eyes. I like the discussions when they're
actually OTR-related, but it's admittedly hard to wade through all the
clique-y banter that gets tossed around on this list.

>> Do you guys have any sensitivity
>> to the countless among us (writers, artists, poets, musicians, and other
>> thieves-in-the-making) who would do anything to be in your situation?
>
>This could be the case, or maybe they respect their position so much that
>they honor us with the privalege of asking for our oppinion.  Your ignorant
>response leaves you unworthy of such an honor.

It wasn't an ignorant response to me. It may have offended *your* delicate
sensibilities, but to me it seemed an honest response to an honest question.
I think if Linford's going to ask something of us, he should be prepared to
take the good and the bad. Duh.

>> I have two friends, an actor and a writer in california, who would blow
up a
>> small school of children to have the chance to sign a major deal.
>
>Your friends are obviously self-centered assholes.

OK, so I wouldn't blow up a small school of children, but your response, Mr.
Gardner, was no less offensive.
I mean, honestly, who's the asshole here?

>> them.  Am I supposed to think that OTR is reserved for the deep thinking,
>> "apple orchard" arm-chair faggoty poetic types? Definetly not!  So what
if
>> your music is listened to by not so "passionate" normal people who may
>> never get so recklessly inspired by it like most of us? So what...is it
>> any less meaningful or important as art?
>
>I don't think that was Linford's concern.  I think his concern was loosing
>some of his artistic license.  That is a very real threat with labels.  As
>soon as you give any of the control of your work away, your art is slightly
>less your own.

Actually, when I read it, I thought that normal people stomping on the
well-manicured front lawn of the Apple Orchard *was* part of his concern. I
got that sense in the 'flourescent tits' bit. Maybe I misunderstood as well,
but that's what you get for trying to reach a wide audience with your
flowery language. Don't believe me? Then *you* go back and read the posts
where we all came to a consensus on what an OTR song *really* means.

>> I'm apt to think that your music never really belonged to you anyway.  It
>> has and will continue to exist somewhere between you and us, as a gift
for
>> both of us.
>
>Exactly NOT you point.  This is MY point, you're just saying it.  It is
>partially ours, and he is respecting exactly this by requesting our
>oppinion.  I think it's way cool of him.  Imagine if your favorite actor
>asked you whether he should take a movie or not.  This respect for your fan
>base is awe inspiring, and wonderful.  In short, sit down, and shut up!

"Mommmmmmmm, he said something I didn't like!"

'sit down, and shut up?' In one sentence you talk about the respect Linford
has for us, and then you follow it with this?
Linford *asked* us what we thought. Where's *your* tolerance, Mr. Gardner?

>> If you have no vision to see "us" broaden from peole who sit
>> cross-legged with trendy framed glasses sipping coffee to girls with
>> flourescent tits on beaches, then why in the world would ever want to go
>> big?  The secret is in seeing that there is not a whole lot of difference
>> between the two kinds of audiences anyway.
>
>Again, I don't think that this is the concern.  Again, the concern is with
>loosing some of the control over the end result.

Again, I read the same thing when I read Linford's letter. Your
interpretation is not 'more right' than anyone else's.
I also happen to think artistic control is an issue.

Here's my response to Linford:

I really enjoy hearing from the OTR camp. I think it's nice to have a
connection as strong as this one is, to have that extra bit of personal
attention thrown in. I may not have a job where I can sit on my ass and post
all day to this list with witty rejoinders and inside jokes, but hey, I am
really glad it's there for people who do.

I am frankly stymied at Linford's request for feedback. Who am I to say? I'd
love to see Over the Rhine do well. This is just not my decision. I can't
even begin to formulate a coherent answer, as a *fan*, for Linford. Oh, OK,
I'm a 'listener', too, you *caught* me!
I was also a little off-put at Linford's lovely missive. There's this
'just-been-on-tour-full-of-learning-experiences' high that's present in the
writing, and I know full well that had I been in a different mood, I would
have spouted off a frustrated letter too. Mostly I sat there and shrugged.

My reason for posting at all is that I am really discouraged and
disappointed with all you gooey-eyed fans that turn make camp amongst
yourselves, nudging each other and saying things like 'who is this boffo
anyway? .. who let him in?' I suppose you're just kidding. That would make
it safe, eh?

But it's nonetheless a lot more disappointing to read than the original post
that sparked this petty snottiness.

-Krystyn