Re: (fwd) To all, from Linford

> Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment
> you know, you begin to die a little. The artist never entirely knows. We
> guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.
> Agnes De Mille

Knowledge is a deception, which fills you with a false sense of comfort that
you understand one aspect of an ever-changing story.
-Nobody said it, but I felt it was time that someone should.

> Now if you asked me where I'd rather be, I'd say nowhere.
> Karin Bergquist

oh that I was where I would be then would I be where I am not
here I am where I must be where I would be I can not
-Some bizarre Mother Goose rhyme that a bunch of people sing
(please note that this becomes better when the reader adds their own
punctuation)

Dear Lindford-by-way-of-list,

    It seems you have quite the decision on your hands.  I would say that
this decision was yours, and not ours to make.  I suppose that this was
correct until you asked us for our help.  I guess that the most important
thing to remember is that it remains yours to make.  You have not given that
right away, but you have allowed us our say, and I'm going to start the
conversation that I am sure will follow by taking the opportunity.

    I am a writer myself, or at least I fashion myself one, and several
people whom I trust the opinions of strive to further my belief in such a
thought.  I have rarely published, and I offer one excuse for this: that to
pursue publication would take time away from when I should be writing.  My
works can be published after I pass into the next visage, but I will not be
able to write after such an occurrence.  Said more succinctly, someone else
may publish me, but they can not write my stories.  I don't know how much of
that is an excuse to save myself from the effort and rejection that comes
with submission (even the word brings frightful images to all but the s&m
enthusiast), or if I really believe it.  Never-the-less I offer it up here
as a possible response to your quandary.

    The prior is not my response to you though.  It would be easy if it was,
for then I could say that I am following my own advice, but sorrowfully I am
not (and you may have just affected my life again in the same way that you
did that day when I received a personalized response to fan mail from an IRS
artist).  This is my response to you:

    In 1995(or somewhere there-abouts, all of these
final-days-of-the-20th-century seem to be blurring together) I found a piece
of your soul on the discard pile of a radio station in which I was an
intern.  This shard had the visage of an old man, and am quite sure that you
are aware of when you lost him.  I remember that we had our first date that
day, Mr. Linford.  You and I sat in the little cube that served as a
production room, in the middle of Amherst, MA as an angel of a woman who
gave your heart voice that spoke into me.  (I purposed to you when I
received your honest, yet artistic reply to my subsequent letter.)

    I recently came back into contact with a lost lover, and some of her
first words to me were that she remembered lying in bed with me listening to
your work.  A man who would come to be my best friend and I had our first
experiences in each others lives to the soundtrack of, "Eve."  Even when he
is far away I can still hear his advice and feel his warmth in, "Daddy
Untwisted."  I can feel yours as well, sir.

    As much as I would love to tell you to produce your own work, to spill
out your experience into a compact musical experience that I can throw into
my electronic box and reproduce for myself, and to do it as often as you
can, I can not.  I can not tell you that, given the choice between producing
a lot of things that only a few people will ever hear, or producing few
things that a lot of people were here, I would urge you to do the former.

    Too many people have not heard your voice.  I can not rape them of that
privilege.  I can not say that because I have long-lost-girl-friends, and
best-friends-moved-far-afield, my urge to have that many more should be put
in front of those who do not yet have these things.  I think I may have
changed my life again, or maybe you did.  I just hope I'm not too apathetic
to listen to myself.

In all sincerity,
Brian Gardner (Gardner McPherson)

"Though I'm usually pacifistic