hello and wlecome.

to all of you crazy (this is a compliment) listees out there:

hi.

i always swore to myself that i'd never, never, *never* let myself get
hooked on one of these internet traps, like a listserv group or chat
room, etc.
i was doing a little snooting around, trying to find where the heck
the OtR website went (has eve been banished [pronounced banish-ed]
from the apple orchard?) and i stumbled onto the archive and i spent a
good two hours reading discussions from the past 40 days or so...

and i kept holding my breath, kept being frustrated at the antiquated
pentium 1 ibms that the school keeps around (they're s l o w, kept
being suprrised and delighted at the interesting, amazing people i
found behind the words onscreen.

so i bit.

i went over to yahoo (i love them) and made myself an email address
just for the purpose of subscribing to this here list and signed up.

i find myself impressed that you seemed to have survived some silly,
depressing, and painful debates (christianity vs homosexuality) and
still keep communicating. (btw- my hat is off to jan and to those
brave christians who bothered to take a stand against traditional
interpretations. not that tradtions are bad- my hat is *also* off to
those christians who maintained that tradtional stance without being
hateful or judgemental. am i wishy-washy or what?)

anyway, i don't wish to restart the debate (so please, DON'T)- just
mentioned it as an example of why i found you guys so interesting, and
so enthralling.

 i find it interesting that OtR can have such diverse fans...

so anyway, my name is john, my good friends call me "davis." i'm a
graduate student at depaul university in chicago, studying writing. i
write mostly poetry, mostly for poetry slams, though i have done
newspaper work and i once wrote a horrible novel in tenth grade that
scared my english teacher.
i'm from north carolina- i got my undergraduate degree in english lit
with a minor in medeival/renaissance studies (though i was an art
major for two years...)
i've been inot OtR since the debut of patience- i picked it up because
the cover was interesting. really. so the old "don't judge a book by
its cover" addage doesn't really work all the time...
i've been a fan ever since.

right now my favorite movies are :
romeo+juliet (the latest one)
the power of one
friday

music: radiohead, u2, r.e.m. ("up" is very good), claire holley,
sixpence none the richer, dj shadow, charlie mingus, bjork, henry
mancini, sunny day real estate, ben fold five, indigo girls, leonard
cohen, yo la tengo, miles davis, the rolling stones... ok so i like a
lot of music.

books:
the seven storey mountain; thomas merton
the storm; frederick beuchner
the complete works of martin luther king, jr.
the second coming: walker percy
selected poems of wendell berry
neon vernacular: yusef komanyaka
bart simpson's guide to life.