Re: Chocolate War (no OTR)

Jay said:

>barkera at nsk-corp_com writes:
>>  I don't recall who mentioned the film in the last day or so, but
>>  IFC (Independent Film Channel) is airing 'The Chocolate War' this
>>  coming Sunday.  Evening, I think.  You (the person who listed the film)
>>  said you'd only met a couple of folks who'd even heard of the film.
>>  Well, here's our corner of the world's chance to catch up.
>
>i believe it was miss Jessyka.
>note: i've never heard of the film... anyone care to submit a summation?
>*clears throat* Jessyka? the title alone has put the most wondrous painted
>vision in my mind of Godiva bombs and Ovaltine™ rivers - bullets of mocha and
>guns of Snickers...

First of all, Aaron, thank you for bringing that to my attention.  I
forwarded to it my dad and begged him to tape it for me!

And since you asked, Jay:

_The Chocolate War_ is a movie adaption of the book by Robert Cormier,
staring Ilan Mitchell-Smith (the dark haired one from the movie _Weird
Romance_, John Glover, and having a special appearance by Bud Cort.  Jerry,
a high school freshman (Mitchell-Smith), attends a private all-boys school
called Trinity, and headed by Brother Leon (Glover).  The school has a
*secret club* called The Vigils who pick students and assign tasks to them,
such as unscrewing every screw in one of the brother's classrooms, and
refusing to sell chocolates.

Jerry gets called for such an assignment, and he is told that he has to
refuse to sell chocolates for ten days.  The chocolate sale is a big deal
for Brother Leon, and when Jerry refuses the chocolates he is ostracized.
He uses his manipulative powers to find out that it is merely an assignment
from the vigils, and that Jerry is supposed to take the chocolates when the
ten days are up.  That day arrives, and Jerry says that he will not sell
the chocolates.

The vigils, Brother Leon and the rest of the school get pissed, and whole
bunches of fun ensues.  I love this movie.  I really love the bad guy,
Archie...I don't know why.  :)

It's pretty badly done...it's from 1989 and I think it was pretty low
budget.  Fun music from Yaz (Only You, covered by Anne E. DeChant!) and
Peter Gabriel make it all the more enjoyable.  Let me know what you think,
if anyone decides to watch it on a whim.

NP:  Alanis Morisette _Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie_
*hugz and kisses*
Jessyka