Re: songwriters and geography trivia

In a message dated 12/29/98 2:45:48 PM Central Standard Time, OncleBoo at aol_com
writes:

> The Matthew Shepard murder was horrific, no question about that, but can
>  someone tell me just what connection his murderers had with the Christian
>  community?  I'm not aware of any such connection.  Look, I've often been
>  disappointed in the way that Christians have a tendency to regard gays as
>  somehow subhuman, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that they've
>  advocated violence against gays.

"conservatives are in a pickle...they like to talk about consequences...well,
the consequences of condemnation can turn out to be death...but just as white
racists created a climate for lynching blacks, just as hate radio created a
climate for militias,  so the constant degrading of homosexuals is exacting a
toll in blood...discerning clergymen and moralists can hate the sin and love
the sinner, but by the time the homophobic message reached the angry guys
sitting in the bar, that distinction has been lost."