Re: songwriters and geography trivia

In a message dated 12/30/98 12:32:18 AM Central Standard Time, Ysobelle
writes:

> In a message dated 12/29/98 11:44:40 PM, Kendrickjd at aol_com wrote:
>
>  <<
>  "conservatives are in a pickle...they like to talk about
consequences...well,

>  the consequences of condemnation can turn out to be death...but just as
> white
>  racists created a climate for lynching blacks, just as hate radio created a
>  climate for militias,  so the constant degrading of homosexuals is exacting
>  toll in blood...discerning clergymen and moralists can hate the sin and
love
>  the sinner, but by the time the homophobic message reached the angry guys
>  sitting in the bar, that distinction has been lost."
>
>  >>

>  I knew someone was going to say this better than I ever could, so I didn't
> say anything this morning. Thanks. Whence cometh this particular quote?

okay...focus on the family (james dobson's right-wing group) is one of the
groups that has been accused (though not formally of course) of having
something to do with--some influence in--matthew shepard's murder.  people
have accused religious groups that openly oppose homosexuality and teach
intolerance of it of creating a climate for such violence.  i read the focus
on the family newsletter where james dobson responded to those allegations.
he basically said that christians were only standing up for what is right
according to the bible and all that.  he also quoted things that had been said
about him/FOTF so he could respond to them.  the above quote was from an
article in newsweek and, to him, "the most ridiculous thing i have ever
heard".
to me, the writer of this quote was right on the money.  any of us can say
whatever we want, but we have to be responsible for it.
jan