Re: songwriters and geography trivia

In a message dated 12/29/1998 9:39:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Ysobelle at aol_com writes:

> Matthew Shepard springs to mind for some reason....
>
>  When we live in a world wherein a point of view seems to condone a brutal
>  bludgeoning, I'd just as rather that point of view were shunned, myself.
>

>  This is another reason I love OtR-- inclusive, no matter what one's
beliefs.

Before I write anything else, let me say that I realize that this subject
matter is treading that thin line of religio-political issues that often lead
to all-out warfare on this list, and that's not what I'm aiming for.  I merely
think that some of what Ysobelle has said warrants a response.  I apologize in
advance if I misstep and offend someone's sensibilities.

The Matthew Shepard murder was horrific, no question about that, but can
someone tell me just what connection his murderers had with the Christian
community?  I'm not aware of any such connection.  Look, I've often been
disappointed in the way that Christians have a tendency to regard gays as
somehow subhuman, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that they've
advocated violence against gays.  In fact, most of these Christian leaders who
are often accused of fostering an environment that's conducive to gay bashing
have gone on the record condemning that very behavior.  In fact, I've seen
more vitriol directed at Christians by gays then vice versa.

As I said before, I'm not pleased with the disdain many Christians seem to
have for gays, so I'm not an unabashed apologist for the Christian community.
I just don't think it's right to accuse them unfairly of being responsible for
Matthew Shepard's murder.

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com