Re: Monk + more info.

Chris Emery wrote:

> Dancing on a volcano, "Bruce Lachey" <b_lachey at hotmail_com> said:
>
> >Had fun at the Monk show.  Good seeing lots of ya (Shelly, Jeff (toast),
> >Scott U, Evan, Ron Brickley, Damian, Mr. Emery, Lisa W, Shannon, Carol,
> >Charlotte, I'm sure I'm forgetting some).

I saw Evan, Bruce, Shelly, and Jeff and all the people in the theater with
shadowy faces.

> Yes!  Lots of listies in attendance.   Add to the tally: the ever
> adorable Dawn Cozart (from Denver), and Josh from Binghamton.
>
> Where the hell were you, Ron?   I was looking forward to meeting you.

Did you feel strange and piercing eyes undressing you from a great
distanceduring the show?  That was me.
But, really, I think I was able to deduce that you were wearing the yellow
star
monk shirt.  Yes?
If this is the case, I was sitting to your left in the front row, surrounded
by beautiful
women.

> >Nice getting the elusive
> >Patience hat (easily one of the coolest things I have now).  I think

This makes me want to take up wearing hats.

> Funny thing, Bruce - it was offered to me after the York Street show
> last month.   I turned it down so you could have it.  ;-P
>
> >they should make some GDBD ones (same colour as the CD, with the gorilla
> >on the front and center and "Good Dog Bad Dog" written on the back with
> >the rat).
>
> I'll pass.
>
> >Monk played tons that I won't remember, but something like this:
>
> Corrections interspersed, as always.
>
> >First part:
> >Silent Night -- very cool experimental type through echoplex (put down
> >bass line, then overlayed lead line, then e-bowed harmonies) with tabla.
> >Angels we have Heard on High
>
> With the 'gloria...' part played almost entirely on harmonics.  Way
> cool.

This WAS cool, but there seemed to be much nervousness.

> >Ring Out
> >She Don't Know How to Lie (don't remember title of this cover song)
>
> Ron Sexsmith - 'She talks to the angel' or something similar.
>
> >another Hush moment (tattoo?)
>
> 'Tattoo'
>
> >Willoughby
>
> For the record, I think this was the first time he played anything off
> Hush live, unless he did for the radio bit.

He really started to get more comfortable here.  Almost too comfortable
withWilloughby.

> >Second part:
> >Circle of Quiet
> >One Eye Open
> >Unknown Christmas original -- something he said he wrote circa DNotY,
> >but nothing "to get excited about".
>
> Something waltz, wasn't it?  Did anyone else catch the sneaky 'I
> Painted My Name' riff in the solo here?
>
> >Within Without (REALLY good seeing this again)
>
> Amen.   I couldn't stop grinning the whole time.

No offense to Ric's voice, but with all the otr (past and present) members
around,I was half expecting Karin to run down the aisle, jump on stage, and
be like
"ok, quick, I told Linford I was going out for some milk and bread".

> >Melancholy Room
> >This Train
>
> >Encore w/ the Brian Kelley guesting:
>
> Was anyone surprised?
>
> >Little Wing
>
> This time, it wasn't quite the sonic adventure it was in Kent, when
> the song lasted about 18 minutes.
>
> >That's my Love
>
> >Playing with Ric was the tabla player, another guitarist (same as the
> >radio show), the ever astounding Josiah Wolf, Wade Jaynes on bass (quite
> >talented and funner than the times I'd seen him with OtR, and it was his
> >first Monk appearance).
>
> Wade was having fun, it seemed.    And, yes, Josiah is amazing.

Yes, it seems these people were allowed to smile and formsome kind of groove
while onstage.

My girlfriend really liked the show.  She said it was one of the best she's
seen
in the not too distant past.
I thought it was nice too, and the seats were great.
I was sometimes preoccupied with the people in the "bleachers".
There seemed to be a wide array of boredom being displayed.
Except for metronome guy--he was into it.
But a good introduction to the Christmas week, even if I didn't have
enough $ to get _hush.

bye,

Ron