Re: Monk + more info.

Dancing on a volcano, "Bruce Lachey" <b_lachey at hotmail_com> said:

>Had fun at the Monk show.  Good seeing lots of ya (Shelly, Jeff (toast),
>Scott U, Evan, Ron Brickley, Damian, Mr. Emery, Lisa W, Shannon, Carol,
>Charlotte, I'm sure I'm forgetting some).

Yes!  Lots of listies in attendance.   Add to the tally: the ever
adorable Dawn Cozart (from Denver), and Josh from Binghamton.

Where the hell were you, Ron?   I was looking forward to meeting you.

>Nice getting the elusive
>Patience hat (easily one of the coolest things I have now).  I think

Funny thing, Bruce - it was offered to me after the York Street show
last month.   I turned it down so you could have it.  ;-P

>they should make some GDBD ones (same colour as the CD, with the gorilla
>on the front and center and "Good Dog Bad Dog" written on the back with
>the rat).

I'll pass.

>Monk played tons that I won't remember, but something like this:

Corrections interspersed, as always.

>First part:
>Silent Night -- very cool experimental type through echoplex (put down
>bass line, then overlayed lead line, then e-bowed harmonies) with tabla.
>Angels we have Heard on High

With the 'gloria...' part played almost entirely on harmonics.  Way
cool.

>Ring Out
>She Don't Know How to Lie (don't remember title of this cover song)

Ron Sexsmith - 'She talks to the angel' or something similar.

>another Hush moment (tattoo?)

'Tattoo'

>Willoughby

For the record, I think this was the first time he played anything off
Hush live, unless he did for the radio bit.

>Second part:
>Circle of Quiet
>One Eye Open
>Unknown Christmas original -- something he said he wrote circa DNotY,
>but nothing "to get excited about".

Something waltz, wasn't it?  Did anyone else catch the sneaky 'I
Painted My Name' riff in the solo here?

>Within Without (REALLY good seeing this again)

Amen.   I couldn't stop grinning the whole time.

>Melancholy Room
>This Train

>Encore w/ the Brian Kelley guesting:

Was anyone surprised?

>Little Wing

This time, it wasn't quite the sonic adventure it was in Kent, when
the song lasted about 18 minutes.

>That's my Love

>Playing with Ric was the tabla player, another guitarist (same as the
>radio show), the ever astounding Josiah Wolf, Wade Jaynes on bass (quite
>talented and funner than the times I'd seen him with OtR, and it was his
>first Monk appearance).

Wade was having fun, it seemed.    And, yes, Josiah is amazing.

>Mr. Jack Henderson was in attendance prior to the show, in the lobby,
>but I didn't see him in the audience during the performance.

He was there...I saw him leaving.

>I spoke with Mr. Kelley a little before the show, asked about the state
>of the OtR demos.  He said Linford is working on them now at home (new
>material) and he hasn't yet heard it or played anything.

He also didn't know that the CBS This Morning bit was available on the
web.   Brian seems to have heard of the existence of computers, but
that's about it.  ;-)   He also apologized - he said he was planning
on sending out xmas cards to those who donated to the Nigel Fund (I
passed along your addresses).  He wanted to send those out, but ran
out of time with the CBS thing and other holiday hustle bustle.   I'm
sure y'all understand.

--
NP: Over The Rhine - _Eve_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery