@ Re: CBS / various

Yah, I'm sick and I even half got up to watch the damn thing.  Taped it
too.  Can easily understand why CBS' morning show is rated so poorly.
The website is sub-par to boot (go to CBS, don't enter a zip code, go to
"news", pick "This Morning".  They have info on Monday's show, guests,
etc.; I wonder what was listed for today).

Steve is right about the whole unsigned band/national TV paradox.  Half
of my interest in seeing them on there would've been what they would've
SAID about 'em.  "Here's a great band that Mark McEwen likes and good
luck finding anything by them to buy"  I mean, hell, there're folks
rabidly trying to get OtR CDs now, can you imagine another 1000 doing
all the internet searching and direct mail ordering and trying to get
off this list?!  :)

Another bizarro brick in the wall is the Enquirer article.  I guess I
don't know what to make of that.  Mr. Nagel usually doesn't print bunk,
and I'm sure his facts weren't culled from this list.

Eric, I don't think they 'owed' us any official announcement or
anything.  Are you talking online, or fan club?  Either way, it's too
early to say.  Remember, this Actwin/OtR e-talk isn't actively
participated in by any band member.

Re: Crapitol:  Yeah, as a Duran fan I have a tough time liking the
label.  I think there's a lot of their stuff that gets by on chance
(Marcy's Playground) and sheer fan base (Beasties), but they don't do
well at marketing their way out of a paper bag.  Heck, Duran's "Electric
Barbarella" was the catchiest 'up' pop single they'd done in years and
Capitol had no idea how to sell it.  [To be fair, Duran had a noisy
hard-to-sell album, awful cover art for the single and album, a
terrifyingly insipid video to accompany Barbarella, and it came off the
heels of their largest artistic and commercial thud, the cover album
"Thank You".]

Obviously, people usually don't care what label a band is on (I mean, I
don't care much for Capitol but still have bought Capitol CDs in the
last year or so by Radiohead, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Everclear,
Foo Fighters, Pizzicato Five, Robbie Robertson, Supergrass and Pet Shop
Boys).

I'm just saying there's better ways to "market" product.  That sounds
terrible, but it's true.  Alanis on Madonna's WB offshoot Maverick, for
example.  [But then they've fallen on their face on a great CD by the
artist "Jude", IMO.]

Bruce