Re: @ Re: CBS / various

> Eric, I don't think they 'owed' us any official announcement or
> anything.  Are you talking online, or fan club?  Either way, it's too
> early to say.  Remember, this Actwin/OtR e-talk isn't actively
> participated in by any band member.

I have to chime in and say that OTR really has kept (and keeps) a much
closer contact with its fans than I've ever experienced with another band
before.  I'd propose a consideration of what it must be like to be them
right now:  just rising out of a period of band turmoil, a hard, hard tour
with (I think) a little friction, tenatively rallying up their courage and
nerve to take a stab at being signed again after a partially disappointing
experience the last time around... maybe they just think it's wise to keep
to themselves for a little while.  I imagine it would be emotionally
troubling to crow (or whisper, for that matter) about demoing for Capitol
and then have the whole thing blow up in my face:  I think I would lay low
on the official announcements.

OK, I'll step out of those shoes now...

> Obviously, people usually don't care what label a band is on (I mean, I
> don't care much for Capitol but still have bought Capitol CDs in the
> last year or so by Radiohead, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Everclear,
> Foo Fighters, Pizzicato Five, Robbie Robertson, Supergrass and Pet Shop
> Boys).
> I'm just saying there's better ways to "market" product.  That sounds
> terrible, but it's true.  Alanis on Madonna's WB offshoot Maverick, for
> example.  [But then they've fallen on their face on a great CD by the
> artist "Jude", IMO.]

And Capitol has stepped up to the plate, given the bands you cite here.
"The Colour and the Shape" got huge marketing support, as did "OK
Computer," Robbie Robertson (what's that album called? Red Boy?),
"Bilingual" and "In It For The Money."  Jon Spencer is all over the place--
I see his mug everywhere.

Hearing that OTR is demoing for Capitol didn't excite me, but then the only
thing I could think of was the Beatles.  I guess I'll have to quit assuming
and just wait to see what happens...

jnf