Monk (17 Oct 98)

Hey, just thought I'd post a review from the Saturday (17 Oct) Monk show
at York Street.  First of all, the venue is WAY BETTER than I thought it
was.  I have no idea why I had such crappy preconceived notions about
York Street, but happily they were all false.

Todd manned the booth, which now includes the Quiver and Hush discs, the
new-ish CD sized Ric-ego boosting booklet with a lot of pro-Monk quotes
and Wilson photography (never a bad thing).  Also making their first
appearance (to my eyes) were two Monk shirts, and a pretty Monk gear
order sheet.

There was a string trio opener; they were pretty good.  I think they
were surprised to be opening for a rock-based band, and more surprised
by the applause after each song.  The venue wasn't packed, but was
generally well attended.  Mr. Mike Wilson and wife sat behind me.

The setlist:

Willoughby
Circle of Quiet
One Eye Open
*Maker
*Speak w/
Can't Drink the Water
Womb of God
Melancholy Room
TML
*** encore ***
This Train (Didn't play this but was listed)
Little Wing

Set/misc commentary:

Willougby kinda is fun in it's countrified version.  Once he started
singing Circle, I knew I had made the right choice coming to the show.
It's awesome!  His voice is like 150% better than the last time I'd seen
Monk live (with Brian on drums, back in '96 or before; whatever the
Ripley's show was where Karin got up and sang the encore).

The two songs listed above with "*" are cover songs (as is Hendrix's
Little Wing) but he didn't mention the original artist.

Ric was amazing, definitely into the performance.  The bassist (Dave)
and drummer (Josiah) are awesome.  I spoke with Josiah after the show;
he's a University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music music comp
major senior, and it's pretty apparent in his drumming.

Bruce

OtR Code: v1.0 ao>213645 O/3 aHappy zED ai>2 yi>2 mB