Re: U2 and nostalgia value (absolutely no otr)/ trendy music / rachel's threats

Jillian Tully wrote:

> >> man, this is worse than last year when i had to give up ska!"
>
> >For some reason, this last sentence made me smile...
>
> *in mock horror* nobody gives up SKA,man! Once you skank you're always a
> skanker!!! (Sorry I had to show my age a little by picking on all the
> silly ska kids in my town) continue...

:)>  Your town too, huh? Five Iron Frenzy is from an hour from here, and
all the kids here just _looooooove_ them and think they're so cool, and
because they're from around here, they have some sort of ownership in that.
Or something like that. I'm just tired of music with horns, I guess. Ska,
swing, whatever. Hepcat and The Israelites, however... They do it right.

> >Yup. Me too. If I like it, I'll listen to it. But I do have to say
> >that the
> >majority of the record-buying public (as well as movie-going public,
> >tv-viewing
> >public, etc.) have pretty much crap taste. I mean, Celine Dion?
>
> That is what I've been trying to tell my bitter ex-musician father for a
> year now! If you want to know the top 10 songs that most people
> hate,watch or listen to a countdown. That's obviously a little harsh,
> but for the most part it's true. If the public gets sick of overplayed
> songs,then why do the stations keep playing them? That's what I want to
> know...

Or what's even worse right now is how alt. radio seems to think its job is
to break whatever new band there is to break right now, regardless of
talent. So, even when you like a song, it's played absolutely to death, and
you never ever ever ever want to hear that band in your life again.
Fastball comes to mind. Semisonic, as well (even though their last CD was
much better than this new Third Eye Blind-sounding thing). The stations
keep playing 'em because of money. I read not too long ago about how one
station was getting $5000 to play some song 500 times. And the first
thought into my head was "isn't that illegal?" But if a magazine is
reporting it, it's gotta be happening a lot more than just that once, I
would think. And they play 'em because the public is lazy. They'd rather
hear a song they know and are getting sick of than a new one they don't
know. Which is also kinda why the alt. radio theory seems so bassackward to
me. Anyway, my portable CD player with the car adapter is always with me
for my half-hour drive to work, cuz I can't hack the radio for that long...

> "All I want is the truth. Just give me some truth." - John Lennon

Yeah! Preach it, sister!
Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins