Re: Karin's Hot! (was Re: My view....)

Cygnet <sswans83 at calvin_edu> waited lifetimes, said this to you:
>> >I was  trying to explain my view of the music, not lay down some law.  I was
>> >saved when I was 18, the 18 years prior to that event were completely
>> >submerged in all the hip, delicious, dangerous, drug-induced times that
>> >could be fit into those 18 years.
>>
>> You make it sound like a *bad* thing.   ;-P
>
>It is.  I've been there.

It's a *joke*

>> >So finding Over the Rhine as a christian
>> >who wasn't raised to be a Conservative Republican, or even a Sunday School
>> >Teacher, was a blessing to my life.
>>
>> Wanna know something funny?   I was raised to be both.   Check me out now.
>
>What else did you think you would become when you rebeled?

What makes you think I've rebelled?

>> There's a funny thread right now in alt.music.yes about Carman.
>> Apparently, Steve Sullivan, a 37 year old long-term proghead and
>> outspoken atheist, happened to catch one of Carman's "performance
>> video things" on the tube, and was quite perplexed.
>
>why was he perplexed?

Well, Carman *is* a little odd, you have to admit.   It's almost
performance art, in a way.

>> Not all christian music that's labeled as such is as bad as the other
>> 90%.   ;-)   I'll take an old Petra record, or MWS _The Big Picture_
>> (featuring Tony Levin on bass/stick - woohoo!) anyday.
>
>My goodness, yes.  I still have an old Petra tape around somewhere.  It
>was the first tape that i ever bought on my own, and I chose it because it
>had a big spaceship type thing on the cover breaking through a brick wall.
>Anybody know the album title?  I can't find it now.

_More Power To Ya_?   That's one of the great ones!

>> Interestingly enough, I had never even heard of (nor had it occurred
>> to me) any religious connection with OTR and their music until Snoop
>> Dug ruffled some chica's feathers last summer when she said she was
>> "on fire for god" or some such.   Good ol' Duggy made the obvious
>> "stop, drop and roll" joke, and list life was a whirlwind of
>> excitement for a while.
>
>Hmmm...Even as a I Christian, I think those who are "on fire for god" need
>to be very careful.  They tend to turn people away with their heat and
>passion, rather than draw them in with the light that tey carry.

Agreed.  Especially for those who have already seen some of the good
*and* bad that organized religion has to offer.

[...]

>> It saddens me that Mikey is gone.   Now I don't have anything to shout
>> at the shows.  :-(
>
>I was very unhappy too.  He was the one member that i felt really
>comfortable talking to after the shows.

Hey!   Maybe he should hook up with Ric and play in Monk!

>Hey, does anyone know if their December show cat Calvin is still on?  I
>didn't see it on the last list.  please let me know.

No idea, sorry.

--NP: Big Head Todd And The Monsters - _Midnight Radio_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
"Communism's a lot like using DOS,
    only it's a political system and
       it doesn't have subdirectories." - Kibo