Re: Differences Two

In a message dated 8/25/98 10:46:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, walkerl at cray_com
writes:

> I would submit instead that they paint pictures of the many aspects of
>  human thoughts and emotions, ranging from romantic love to frustration
>  and anger to spirituality (and one could even say Christian
>  spirituality). This - to me - differs from bands that openly raise up
>  Christ in their music, like PFR, The Kry, DC Talk...... I'm not saying
>  that one type of music is better or worse than the other - I just think
>  they have different aims.

I'm inclined to agree with you here.  While I do enjoy *Christian* music (yes,
I'm giving it a label, but I'm referring to the groups and soloists who
specifically mention Jesus in their music), I prefer the spirituality of Over
the Rhine's music.  Think about it.  While we, as fans and followers of the
band, know of their religious preference, some people may listen to their
music and not automatically think that they are a Christian band.

I don't consider Over the Rhine to be a Christian band.  I think of them as
several Christians who are playing good music together, and I think that may
be how they want the world to see them.

There's just something all-emcompassing when they sing *Within, Without* and
don't mention a name of the God they are singing about.  Of course, that's
just me.

*hugz and kisses*
Jessyka