RE: Don't speak... the words come out your eyes.

I hafta say, I think mainstream stardom, or at least acceptance which leads
to making a comfortable living, is an important goal for OtR. I got to hear
the baby version of "Goodbye" last year at CStone, but I didn't get to hear
all the other new songs until this year's fest. And I have to say,
especially after playing them back endlessly over the last two weeks, the
six new songs they played (including a more mature version of Goodbye)
seriously skew the band in a VH1/top40 radio direction. Not that anything's
wrong with that. And not that the new material doesn't reach far into the
progressive/AAA region of Top 40. But I think it's inaccurate to say that
kind of success isn't an important pursuit for them.

So, start cheering, I guess. It's cool to have them as our own little
secret. We're a fun little club with our own little passwords and rare cds
and bootleg concerts we trade around. But this club keeps getting bigger,
you'll notice. To which I say, the more the merrier. Though it is extremely
weird to run across members of the list who never got to see or hear the
band while Ric was a member (man, I've got to get some Monk cd's). But it is
good to see that Jack is really gelling with the band now. He sounded great
and had some real personality at CStone (maybe it has to do with the fact
he's now a legal immigrant to the US). Or maybe it's just all the practice.
Still, he's not nearly as good on pedal steel as Ric was. And OtR doesn't
have a real showcase for him like "I Painted" or "If I'm Drowning" or dozens
of other songs were for Ric. But, I keep reminding myself, they are not that
kind of band anymore. Still good. But different. Quit living in the past.
Buy Monk cds.

Happy Pappy?

BSC