Re: another post about cstone

RBGockley at aol_com wrote:

> Well, i finally made it back from cornerstone last evening (i spent the night
> at a friend's house in cleveland before coming home).  Cornerstone rocked,
> though i spent more time just hanging out with friends than going to shows.  I
> spent much of my time in the exhibition tents, either working beki hemingway's
> booth (though it was only up half of friday and on saturday, and i only had a
> total of 5 hours over three shifts),

I was gonna look for you, but never even saw a Beki Hemingway booth. I didn't
really spend much time in the merch. tent. Got the stuff i wanted, got out before
I spent money I didn't have to spend.

> or hanging out behind the sixpence booth,
> or with my sister when she was working at the prism booth, or with her when
> she was hanging out behind the joy electric / velvet blue table with ronnie
> martin and cloud and bluestar and all of them.

I probably saw you behind one of these at some point. My roommate talked to Cloud
for a little while. Not too long, though.

> During the whole rainstorm, i
> was safe behind the sixpence booth (telling people that no, the band isn't
> here yet, and no, we don't know when they'll be getting here, and no, this
> guy's my friend eric and he's not matt slocum, no matter what you may think).

Which rainstorm? The _rainstorm_ or the rainstorm (tornadoes and the like in the
first. We were in Des Moines at this point, and saw a couple of buildings that
had just been leveled. Power lines down everywhere, too...)?

> Highlights of cstone (show-wise): over the rhine (of course), sixpence (i love
> their new stuff), havalina rail co, beki hemingway (if you weren't there, you
> missed a great show), the illegal somerset show (they just set up a show next
> to the skate ramp (not in the impromptu tent))...the list goes on.

Did you go to either the Burlap to Cashmere set or the Rich Mullins tribute? I
missed both, and am kinda bummed about that. B2C because i was in the midst of a
big political debate with a friend, and the Mullins tribute because I was lazy
and just didn't get up off my butt to leave for it instead of staying at Five
Iron. The Sixpence set was really pretty great. Better than last year when they
did everything from the new CD that wasn't going to come out for another 4
months. It sounded cool, but it was tough not knowing anything. So this year was
better. OtR and Havalina were my favourites, too.

> Anyway, on to the otr show.
>
> I know much of this has been said already, but i'm too lazy to weed through my
> notes and take out what others have said, so deal with it.  And i've never
> done a show review before, so sorry in advance that this'll be rather bad.
>
> Over the Rhine, at Cornerstone 1998.  Midnight on saturday, 4 july, 'til about
> 2 o'clock in the morning on sunday.  At the gallery / compassion stage (i hate
> how all the tents have two names).
>
> The setup:  I was about five rows back, and to the right of the stage (when
> facing the stage, that is), right in line with the speakers.

I was pretty much opposite from you. Right behind that little Compassion booth
thing to the band's right.

> Again facing the
> stage, linford was on the right, complete with organ and what appeared to be
> freshly-cut hair.  Wade, for the most part, was hidden for me behind the
> organ's speaker.  Brian, behind his bullet-proof glass, was obscured behind
> the organ itself.  Karin was front and center; terry was to the left (hair
> up); jack was behind 'em.
>
> The songs (and other comments):
>
> Faithfully Dangerous
> Tumbleweeds
> ---from the crowd: "we can't hear you!  more vocals!"  Karin's response: "You
> can't hear me?  Tell him."  (points to sound guy.)  (laughter from the crowd.)
> Seahorse
> ?? -- I have no idea what this was.  No one else has listed it yet.  It was a
> really short song, and, as far as i can tell, the only lyrics were "don't you
> wanna see...don't you wanna seeeeeeee," and it involved much of karin's
> "ahhhhh" 's and voice-going-all-over things that she does so well.  Anyone
> know what this was?

Um, "The Seahorse"...

> All i need is everything
> Etcetera Whatever
> Everyman's Daughter
> ---Karin comments about jack being legal, and about trying new material.
> I will remember
> ---Karin talks about the upcoming tour.
> Moth
> Whatever you say
> ---Karin tells about meeting her half-sister for the first time at her
> father's funeral.
> Anyway
> Poughkeepsie
> ---Karin wishes "emma" a happy birthday.
> And Can it Be
> Goodbye
>
> *first encore*
> Jack's Valentine --- this flat-out rocked.  Best part was when the gals are
> holding out that really long note...Linford: "I want to trip myself..."
> (loooong pause, girls are holding note) "....oh well i want to trip myself and
> fall upon your fabulous sword..."

That part was really amazing. I wish I could have seen myself during this song
because I think I pretty much had a huge smile on my face the whole time.

> Lucy --- started a couple times, karin says "that didn't sound right" (i think
> it was fine).  Start again, played through song.
> Latter Days
>
> *second encore*
> Rhapsodie (with Karin's intro)
> Go Down Easy -- i think someone might've been a tad out of tune on this
> one...linford kept cringing during it.  There was much laughter in the
> audience when karin sang "cut my hair off too."
>
> And so that's about it for my comments.  For the most part, the sixpiece
> sounded quite together and tight.  And having not seen them since september, i
> loved it.  Their new stuff was amazing.  Wow.
>
> --rachel.

I agree. I hadn't seen Sixpence since last year's CStone. A grand time was had by
all. Did you think it was, like, inordinately hot, or was it just me that thought
that? Seemed, like, 100 at least a couple of days. Maybe not, but it's how it
felt...
Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins