sadness part II

hey bruthas & sistas--let me somberly add to the sorrow on the loss of
our dear friend snoop mikey mike.  all know how much i worshiped his
divine funkiness, and i will mourn for another year and a half on the
loss of his phat groove.  he was a kick ass concert bassist, and it's a
damn shame that we won't get to hear him tear it up on this new album in
da manking.  you think it was hard for jack to avoid the ric
comparisons?  he played it smart and simply didn't go there--they have
completely different styles (listen to me!--i'm giving jack credit for
his own style now!--i must be conforming...).  this wade guy will have a
HELL of a time avoiding that shit.  but then again, i'm trying to take a
step back here and avoid that.  mike bolted, so they had to get
SOMEBODY.  i don't think that mike left on the same terms that ric and
brian did back in '96.  mike will be damn missed, though.  he was
definitely da bomb.  i'm going to have to get into more jazzy shit,
that's for sure--i'd love to hear mike and chris dahlgren do other shit.
chris was damn phat, too.  sure, he had hair, but that xmas album was
damn phat (seasonally, of course).  anyways, mourn mourn mourn.  he put
on a hell of a live show from that back corner he was stuck in.

now...
who in the HELL is this damn jason andrew newby guy, and where in the
HELL did he come from?  you are pissing in a LOT of peoples' wheaties,
home skillet, and at a damn sensitive time, that's fo' sho'.  thanks to
chrissy and melissa and whoever for putting this biyatch in his place.
where in the HELL do you get this shit?  when you and molly's little
brother joel are done tossing linford's salad, please let me know.

i think it's big ass downer that the instrumentalists are fading.  ric
is gone, brian doesn't get his groove on much anymore (recall december's
rhinelander gathering discussion where he was outed as a pop drummer
instead of a rock drummer), linford never struts his masters degree in
piano, mike's "june" solo was completely wiped out, and terri probably
doesn't even bother taking her violin to the shows anymore because she
never plays it, and when she does, you can't even hear it!  big gordo is
the only one that gets to put on a show these days, and it took him
forever to get there.  did you notice at shows in the past year--how
people looked after mike has his phat bass solos (especially in "june"),
or how much they grin after gordo rips on "jack's valentine" (and
definitely "june" as well), or hearing terri play finish or "like a
radio" with a violin solo?  ever hear people chear for karin & terri
when they wail on "jack's valentine," or when karin would belt out on
"conjectures" WAY back in they day?  SHOWING OFF YO SHIT KICKS ASS!
there is nothing wrong with struttin' yo stuff!  3 hours of it might
suck, sure, but tossing a little in here and there sure does get an
audience going.  solos damn entertaining, regardless of whether it's
guitar, voice, bass, whatever.  people ususally dig it and chear for the
shit.

anybody remember that october '96 show at bogart's?  that was one hell
of a show.  everybody had seen the separation coming at that time, but
what a bitchin' show that was.  it sticks out in my memory as one of the
best, by far.  not because it was the last four-piece show i saw prior
to december 1st (breakup announcement night in dayton), but because if
ROCKED da house.  skinny linny did the announce-the-members thingy, and
people were absolutely flipping for ric, and they had only played about
30 minutes at that time.  it was nuts.  you probably couldn't even hear
me over the crowd (which says a lot--go listen to "besides")  the crowd
was grooving on d'at shit hard core.  at that time all my worries were
gone that they could ever break up (sure enough, they announced it at
the next show i was at).  my damn point being, you can't trash kick ass
instrumentalists.  ric/mike/karin/whoever never stuck out from the
music, they just added to it.  they made it better.  people wanted to
hear "if i'm drowning" and "fly dance" so much because it kicked ass and
took names.  i want to hear "jack's valentine" & "goodbye" now because
they make bitchin' closers and encores (especially i get to sing  ;> ).
HELL, i'm sure it's a damn leading factor in all of these departures.
mike hasn't been getting his groove on as much as he did in the early
days.  same for ric back in the day.  could be the same for brahm not
being in monk anymore--he never got to strut his stuff.  he and mike
both, i believe, are ccm (that's u.c., people, not holy music) grads,
and i can see totally where they'd have to find other ways and means to
get their groove on, to play for an audience that wants to hear the kick
ass they know they're capable of playing, and enjoy doing it.  i know i
sure as hell do.

anyways, to those that apply, quit talking out your ass about stupid ass
stuff--those yellow wheaties sure taste like shit.  payce y'all.
--dug