Sawyer Point / Linford's Lap

First of all, thanks to Damian for introducing me to all the listies he
knows.  It was nice to meet you fellas and I look forward to sharing
apples in the future.

And it feels good to be back in the Rhineland.  I love the poetry and the
music and the class and the deep, deep musings...

Nevertheless, I have to say that I'm disappointed with things.  I'd like
to share my thoughts with you in the spirit of respectful open-mindedness
and meaningful discussion.

First of all, the sound guy - and I'm sorry if some of you know him and
I'm sure he's a great person and I mean no personal disrespect - is just
not getting the job done.  Lynagh's in Lexington was terrible - downright
embarrassing.   And Sawyer Point didn't sound very good, either.  The mix
should be centered around Karin.  Her voice is the most important thing
in that band, period.  It's all about Karin's voice, and it just isn't
coming through that way.  The bass was all muddy and Karin's vocals were
murky and lost at times in the overdone keyboards.  The guitar was
sloppily out front during solos, and why should Terri even bother picking
up that violin?  It looks ridiculous to see her sawing away on that thing
and we hear nothing.  The eq. just wasn't right, either.  And I'm sorry,
the crews did a great job with the rain and all that, but if you can't
make it sound great - outdoors, with that huge wall of loudspeakers and
all that nice equipment - then something is wrong, folks.

Now the playlist.  I truly love all the new stuff (new to me is GDBD and
after).  The poetry is very well-crafted, the songs are deeply moving,
and Karin delivers a huge helping of soul, passion, and love.  It's rich,
meaty stuff and we can ponder and discuss what it all means, but the show
itself never really went anywhere, did it?  There were moments when
things started, barely, to heat up and groove, like in Everyman's
Daughter, Jack's Valentine, Lucy, but there never was a real high point.
Yes there are some new faces and they're still getting to know each
other, but I'm talking about ENERGY, and I'm wanting.

At the end the audience sensed it and, left to work our-own-selves up to
call for an encore, it almost happened.  Everyone spontaneously migrated
to the stage and there we were, warming each other in the chilled evening
air, right in Linford's lap, smiling for Karin, waiting trustingly for
SOMETHING TO HAPPEN.  Then she said, "Aw, you wait 'til now to come down
here, when we're done?     ---Just kidding."

I'm sorry, but that was so out of touch.  Two shows in two weeks, and she
reprimands <bold>her own audience</bold> each time!  [In Lexington people
were talking and she made a frustrated crack about paying $5 to talk.
Well sorry, but one topic of conversation at my table was how bad they
sounded...]  We just didn't have a reason to move during the show, or we
would have.  Three beautiful women in long, flowing dresses happily paid
dancing homage to Jerry Garcia down on the right side off the stage, and
good for them, for they made their own fun.  The audience responds to the
artist- what am I telling you people for?  This crowd especially is so in
love with this band, they rejoice at the slightest groove!  It just
wasn't there.

And it got worse!

"We're gonna take things up a little now," Karin said, or something like
that.  I thought, Yes.  Here it comes.  I felt a rush of adrenaline and
so, I dare say, did everyone else.  Then she looked around , came back to
the mic and said, "Oops, I lied. Sorry."

Unbelievable.  What in the wide, wide world of sports was that all
about???  Hello!  Earth to Band!  We're down here, and we're the reason
you're there...

Go Down Easy is a great song, very erotic and evocative, but it's not at
all the right song to end a set with.

I know this sounds really harsh; I hope it generates some good discussion
and no hate mail.  I love this band and I respect all your differing
opinions and ideas.  I also think that Linford Detweiler is a truly
important American poet who speaks to me, for me, and about love and
urban life.  His work is challenging and inspirational.  I just hope he's
not forgotten about his audience and the art of live performance.

What do you think?     -MikeB