Re: kiss my bass

Recalling the power of trains, rainscape at juno_com (Melissa M
Konieczko) said:
>maybe i missed it, but why exactly did Mike leave?

Someone said something about him wanting to pursue some jazz thing.
Don't quote me, I'm sure it's all still rumor mill at this point.

>about the Ric thing... well, just because someone will not sway to what
>Linford or whoever it may be wants, it doesn't mean that they are a
>selfish person... there are such things as goals, musical tastes,
>[surprise]... and Ric very well may have been rather concerned with his
>guitar parts... i don't think that there is anything wrong with that...

I always thought it was basically because after leaving the major
label (IRS), Linford & Karin essentially wrote and recorded an album
without him.  (GDBD)   Compare the writing credits for the first three
albums to GDBD.  TWHF, Patience, and Eve all are very balanced between
Linford/Ric/Karin, and GDBD is pretty much all Linford/Karin.

>whether anyone likes it or not, *for the most part*, a band is remembered
>by two main things, vocals and guitar. guitar is a very very intergral
>part to any band.

You should qualify this with "in most forms of pop/rock"

>and. that's how the whole problem arose, because OtR
>"avoids convention"... OtR has moved away from being guitar based, and
>moved into "mood".

If you've seen any of the recent shows w/Jack, you wouldn't say this.
OTR is as guitar-based as ever, only it's shifted on the spectrum away
from 'rock' and more towards 'pop'

>that's why i think it's so cool about Jack, because it
>is darn hard to find guitarists who are good but who are also willing to
>be a sort of "backdrop" piece in a band. don't take offense at that
>"backdrop" thing, i can't think of a better word.

He's not much of a backdrop these days.  He's fairly prominent.

--NP: Yes - _Tales From Topographic Oceans_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery