kiss my bass

Tapping out the messages that signify communion Jeff and Chris wrote:

> >> Linford's songs now?   Has it become Linford with special guests Over
> >> The Rhine?
> >
> >Unfortunately, ever since '96 or so it seems....
>
> Ouch.

Chris it's funny, I read *your* post, then I read Jeff's and immediately
said aloud "ouch".  When I got to this next post of yours I fell onto
the floor laughing.  It's not funny, but then there *is* the hyterical
laughter of the delerious.  "There's the brink of insanity, and then
there is the abyss..."

Okay now to tackle this Jason Andrew Newby situation.  He writes:

> Ric
> never listened, he was always too concerned with getting his licks in.  I
> don't mean to say Ric isn't a great guitarist, I think he is, but he was
> more concerned with how his parts sounded than how the song conveyed as a
> whole.

Alright JAN did you just include this for the cut and re-paste effect or
are you just playing the devil's advocate?  With all due respect to your
opinion (however feebly displayed it may have been) :o) this comment is
ludicrous.  To make such a unilateral statement shows that you either
didn't think this through, or you are applying one set of circumstances
that you think to be true to another set that you judge to have the same
qualities--otherwise known as an unproven fallacy.  Now granted, some of
these types of conjecture do prove true, but I really doubt that you
have taken the time to personally sit down with and interview at least a
dozen professional guitarists...  Back to my rebutal.  To state that Ric
never listened and that he was only concerned with how he sounded
(appeared) is to also state that he was selfish and egotistical, because
how could someone who was open to group input and submissivie to
allowing their work to be tempered to the shape of the band "never
listen"?

I believe that anyone who has ever *even* met Ric will attest to his
generous nature.  The guy is so giving that it's almost abnormal.  I had
talked to him ONCE through an e-mail and he invited me to his studio and
even gave me the phone number--he also lives there (or did at the
time).  So before you try to label Ric as self absorbed or whatever else
comes to mind when you say he wasn't a listener think about what you're
saying.  Just because his parts were somewhat wild at times and just
because he improvised and really trashed things up a bit doesn't mean he
wasn't concerned with how the band needed to sound.  People do have
differing opinions of what sounds good (obviously) and I think that
applies to what Ric added to OtR.  It may not have been what you would
have added (or had added) but I think it was probably what he thought
was appropriate.  Linford has been quoted several times saying that the
band (then as a quartet) sounded totally different from what each member
would sound like on their own.  Now we can see what Ric sounds like on
his own and I can see the difference.  There are some similarites, but I
believe there are more differences.

And finally, I want to add my tastes on the bass matter.  I will greatly
miss Mike.  I had become a big fan after only seeing him a handful of
times.  I'll cherish those boots even more now.  I too liked Linford on
the bass (early daze) and although I havent heard many of the examples
that Chris named, I do know who I like:  Mike Georgin, Chris Bland, Ben
Isaacs, Steve Stevens--I know I'll get flamed for that one :P.  I tend
to like more of a prominent bass-one that I can hear above the music
periodically.  The bass is so dark and expressive it shouldn't be
drowned out or trampled over with the drums or lead guitar.  This is
just my non-musical slant.

Oh yeah and Melissa:  Ubiquitious Hands.

NP  Vol _vol_