Getting to know you! (was: Re: off topic discussions)

> I for one would appreciate more lurkers getting' brave and coming
> forward and contributing (when they have something they wanna say).
>
> I never like to see newbies slammed on any list. I can picture how that
> would feel.

Well, I don't think Eric got 'slammed'... but if he feels like he did,
it's because it's not exactly the best form to show up out of the blue and
quote the rules to the people who've been here for ages.

Not to mention the fact that his gripe is, IMO, ludicrious: would you
attend your office Christmas party and demand that people only talk about
work?  Would you do the March of Dimes walk and gripe because no one was
discussing debilitating diseases?

Sure, if you've got something OTR-related to say, go for it.  Absolutely.
We'll probably jump on it, because yes, that IS how we all got here to
begin with.

Linford's third solo CD was news to me; I'm glad someone(s) said
something(s).  Cool. Yay. Hurrah. Woot, even.

I also like Ysoie's pictures of her niece.  And the movie analyses... and
I'm really digging the political conversation, actually.

Aren't we all WAY overdue for a string of haikus, too, btw?

Yes, the rules are there to keep people generally in line... to make it
clear that this isn't intended to be a place for posting advertisements to
a mass of strangers.

On the other hand, if you're a friend offering other friends a recipe or a
link to a website... heck, go for it.  Don't gripe if no one replies, but
be you, and jump in anywhere.

We're an extraordinarily (and I mean that literally) accepting and
welcoming group.

Heck, Ysoie's a goth Jew in a corset... Don's a Quaker astrophysicist who
wears a fedora... Bink's from Fort Wayne and is our Listee gathering point
b/c anyone can find the guy in the kilt... Kylie is tiny and perky and
wears a dunce cap (in the PHOTO, in the PHOTO!!) ... how on earth could
anyone not fit in here?

Oh... and The Drew's got pics on his site if it'll make you feel more
comfortable to see who's who... a face with a name can go a long way....
try
http://www.drewvogel.com
and poke around... they're there somewhere.  I've got some photos at
http://www.miscelena.com/otrpics
too.

*sheepish look* And I REALLY WILL make it a priority to get those pics
from the post-Taft party up soon also.

But first I should go home...  :)
Anita