Re: dem primary

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Drew Johnson wrote:
> Your frustration with the man-myth of Moore is completely
> understandable, Melanie.  When he stays on a populist message, he's
> pure, unadulterated gold.  To me, he starts to have problems when he
> starts to merge the idea that Leftist policy is equal to being a
> populist in his documentary/entertainment work.

Of course, it would sure help if Moore took time out from exposing
everyone else's obsession with image (e.g. the reporter who yells "Where's
my hairspray?" in _Columbine_) and admit that he, himself, is profoundly
engaged in image creation and deception and so forth -- I mean, really,
how populist can a wealthy New Yorker who lives in a ritzy Manhattan
neighbourhood and sends his daughter to private school really be?

FWIW, for more Moore mythicizing and demythicizing, check this thread:
http://promontoryarts.com/viewtopic.php?t=627

> That said, I think _Bowling for Columbine_ is a terribly important film
> to watch, particularly in regard to what it says about fear in America.

Yet more irony -- the film's basic thesis is "Fear the fearmongers!"  In
which case I guess I should fear Michael Moore.  :)

--- Peter T. Chattaway --------------------------- peter@chattaway.com ---
Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee