Re: Re: Fetch Me the Pongmaster!

From khopp@garbersoft.net  Mon Jan 19 14:30:39 2004

>The luddite argument  used without backing is just silly IMO. Sure, some
>people are resistant to change but
>what has that to do a discussion on the benefits of one particular
>medium of communication
>over another. Discuss the strengths of both and weigh out the benefits.
>Liking something strictly because it's new is just as silly as not
>liking something strictly because it's new.

Well, this is altogether fair and true.  The virtues of a forum seem so
self-evident to me, but at the risk of beating a dead horse:

You can set up non-OtR topics to your heart's content and everyone knows
before they look (or don't) at the content what the posts will be about,
more or less.  Much more effective than a subject line.  Among other
advantages, this makes it easier for people to avoid distasteful or
controversial topics if they're so inclined.

Threads provide much better continuity for longer discussions.  You can just
scroll through an entire topic instead of opening related emails in
isolation sequentially and patching them together in your head.

It's much easier to find and resurrect a past topic when inspiration or
edification strikes than trolling the email archives.

Bold and italic fonts, color, emoticons, images.  Granted these load more
slowly over dial-up than plain text, and some people will use them in lieu
of the elegant deployment of language.  Nonetheless, they can be wonderful
tools for self-expression and sharing experiences when used judiciously.

Posts don't mysteriously disappear or arrive out of sequence hours after you
post them.

Editing capabilities.  You know, for those rare occasions when you say
something you wish you hadn't. ;)

No inbox overhead.

You don't see stuff like this:

Yes, you do need a browser and the ability to access the forum with
impunity.  I now understand this is a deal-breaker for many people on the
list.

I'll concede that the "wonder floating into your life" (I'm paraphrasing)
email metaphor has a definite Over the Rhinish charm.  A forum is more like
your house in an endless episode of Trading Places.  You return to it
knowing your crazy neighbors have probably been there, and you just hope you
like what they've done with the place in your absence.

Keith from NY