Re: Fetch Me the Pongmaster!

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, E Geist wrote:

> --- Keith B <keith@rcltd.org> wrote:

> > I well understand the long-time Rhinelanders' attachment to this list,
> > but outside of the nostalgia factor, to say this medium is superior in
> > any way, shape or form to a modern, topic-based bulletin board like
> > the one Drew set up for OtR is just silly or perverse.
>
> listserves don't *terminate* the way forums do.

'm i the only one floundering on vocabulary here? i thought termintate
meant 'end, finish'....

did you mean germinate? or is there some deeper luddite modern post modern
meaning hidden in there that i am not catching on to on a monday grumpy
morning?

> it's simply a way of how some people predicate information/reality (at
> least me - i'm not speaking for the other listserve fans, they can say
> what they feel). intuitively i take a circular, process-oriented view of
> reality, not an arboreal/linear one.  therefore, i find a listserve
> superior to a forum.  and this notion has nothing to do with
> sentimentality, but everything to do with the way i think and the way i
> predicate reality.

perhaps.

i just like it cos it's simple,. text and all comes to one spot. i don't
go to 8 different locations to pick up my mail and send it, that was done
away with by the USPS (and other organisations)

i like it because working on a classified Secret floor means access to
internet stuff is somewhat limited.

and ssh is allowed, because it's secure. (and some forms of html, but not
forums - too easy to hack, or something)

not sentimental in the way you mean,

rhys