RE: Fetch Me the Pongmaster!

I was expecting some rather passionate reactions to my earlier post, and I
wasn't disappointed.

First, it wasn't my intention to "lambast" anyone regardless of how they
predicate reality, and I apologize if my tone came across as hostile.  I
have a lot of respect for most of the people on this list, but a few have
come across a bit like pouting children regarding the prospect of its demise

Second, yes I am blessed with a broadband connection at home, but I have
used dial up via the Earthlink account I use while on the road and accessed
Drew's forum, and 5 seconds is still not much of an overstatement.

Third, I am no one especially important, just a new fan of Over the Rhine
(since just this past May in fact) who has managed to get a few other people
interested in their music.  Regretfully, I couldn't make it to the Taft show
last month as it was my wife's birthday the same weekend and I was unable to
persuade her to make the trip.  I have, however, driven to Cincinnati to see
them play on an earlier occasion, and I am already making plans to get there
for this year's Taft show, where I hope to meet some of you.

Fourth, I was not questioning the effectiveness of the email list (and the
non-electronic mailing list that preceded it) as a means for Linford and
Karin to communicate concert dates, recordings, events, their observations
on life, or anything else.  Many artists do this nowadays, and clearly it
has worked very well for OtR given Linford's extraordinary talent for
expressing himself in letters.  Rather it just seems to me a very cumbersome
and limited way for fans to maintain a music-based community in the age of
the world-wide web.  That is in fact the reason some people have abandoned
the list for Drew's forum.  Anyone who wants help navigating over there need
only ask for it, by the way (for starters, there's a place near the top
right you can click on called View New Posts that's often very helpful).

Fifth, I was only stating my own personal preference, albeit (in hindsight)
with a regretfully didactic tone -- obviously it's K&L's call.  I'm sure
they are rightfully taking their long-time fans' feelings into account, and
if they decide to maintain the list as "the" or "an" official means of
communication among Rhinelanders, I will remain subscribed to it.  Otherwise
 I wouldn't be that much of a fan. ;)  Nor would I question anyone's desire
to continue the list in an unofficial capacity if they don't, in fact that
strikes me as a wonderful thing for the folks who have grown close here.  It
just seems to me pretty awkward to have two official media, and there's no
doubt in my mind which is superior for *most* people in the long run.

Sixth, I have an unfortunate habit of enumerating my points for no good
reason.  I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for that.

Keith from NY