RE: Fetch Me the Pongmaster!

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) wrote:

> Even if I didn't run the forums in question, I still prefer them to
> list-based boards. By far. In fact, the OTR list is one of only three email
> lists I use. The rest are forums.
>
> Forums are modern, fast, and feature-rich as compared to email lists.
> They're actually better suited to the types of conversations that this list
> generates. I'm a little bit surprised that there is so much resistance to
> the idea of a forum.

To me, Drew, it's simply the matter of being able to get everything in a
single point of entrance.  As part of one NPO that I've been with, I need
to keep track of three different e-mail lists.  As a gamer, I post
regularly to the Feng Shui list.  To know what's happening in the world
of OtR and Annie Quick, I have two other lists. They all come to my
mailbox, and I keep pretty good track of what is being said.  Now, if
each group had its own web forum in different places throughout the
Internet, that means going to about eight
different sites - frankly, it's not an issue of laziness.  It's a matter
of not spending my whole day in front of a computer.  With mail, I can
quickly check to see what's happening, check a few links, and go about my
business.

Regards,
-Drew J