Re: Mark Heard Orphans List and CD-Rs playing with distortion

At 04:15 PM 12/6/2003 -0800, humans orphans wrote:
What would be my simplest, or best, solution?  Find a CD player/burner that plays the CD-Rs OK and make copies onto new CD-Rs?  (I don't know how to do this in a computer burner, so I'm going to try with an audio CD burner.  So I have to use "Music only" CD-Rs, right?)

well, sometimes with older players, they do better at reading CD-RW's than they do CD-R's...the first thing i would try to do is making a copy of one of the CD-R's over to CD-RW and see how that works...

part of that is with a CD-RW you are actually making pits in the layer of the cd, versus a change in dye that happens with a CD-R.  For example, I have a Philips Magnavox DVD player that will read CD-RW but *not* CD-R.  That can depend on the laser of the cd/dvd player.

as to making a copy of your cd using your computer cd burner, it shouldn't be too hard.  which cd burning program(s) do you have?  I use Nero Burning Rom, and it works rather well for me...(I could put some simple instructions up on my webpage, with screenshots, on how to use Nero if you like...)

now, if the CD-RW works in your player, you might even try making another copy of the old CD-R onto a new CD-R and see if that works.  (you can always 'blank' or erase that first CD-RW and reuse it, so it's not 'wasted' if the process doesn't work--whereas, once you burn a CD-R, it's done...)

It could be that the older CD-R's are having some problems...you just never know on that.  I have had problem with some that i've burned, and some of that is due to just carrying them around in my backpack for too much time.  they have to be handled with kid gloves

--Jonathan Dix