Mark Heard Orphans List and CD-Rs playing with distortion

Is there a Mark Heard list ("Orphans")?
Also, I have a tech question.  I'm not very tech-oriented, so please forgive my simple terminology.

I have some older CD-Rs which someone else burned for me, ca. 1997.  And some relatively newer ones someone burned for me within the past 2 to 3 years.  My in-home CD players are approx 5 years old (Sony) and 13 years old (Pioneer).  When I first got the older CD-Rs, they played fine on my Pioneer player.  I didn't play them much, put them away, and got them out only rarely to listen to since then.  Recently, I played them on the Pioneer player, and distortion began (fluttering, and a "shaking" sound).  Same thing on the Sony player.  But they played fine on a newer boombox and my in-car walkman (which I've since plugged into my in-home stereo, so I can hear these CD-Rs without distortion).  The newer CD-Rs (2 to 3 years old) played OK in the older and newer players.

Various people have told me different possible reasons for the distortion: maybe CD-Rs have improved over the years, and the older ones are deteriorating; my players' lenses are out of alignment (but all regular, factory burned CDs play OK); the players are simply wearing out, and I'm just now noticing, the first signs of which are the older CD-Rs not being "read" correctly.  The discs are not scratched; I take very good care of them.  Could the burner that the older CD-Rs were made on, be a possible factor (in terms of burner technology having changed/improved in the past 5 to 6 years?)

What would be my simplest, or best, solution?  Find a CD player/burner that plays the CD-Rs OK and make copies onto new CD-Rs?  (I don't know how to do this in a computer burner, so I'm going to try with an audio CD burner.  So I have to use "Music only" CD-Rs, right?)

Are some brands of CD-Rs better than others?  What about burners?  Is the harmon-kardon CDR 2 as good as any other?  I have access to one that was originally purchased new in mid-2000.  The person it belongs to has some extra blank CD-Rs I can use, but they are about that old too, 3 to 4 years.

The material on the CD-Rs is Mark Heard music from Fingerprint, the specialty material they sent to people who donated to the Heard Family Fund.

Is there a current Mark Heard list? Is the "Orphans of God" list still active?  how do I join it?

Thanks in advance.
(I hope this gets posted).

Do you Yahoo!?