Re: Mark Heard Orphans List and CD-Rs playing with distortion

>>Is there a current Mark Heard list? Is the "Orphans of God" list still active? how do I join it?

OOG is still active, alhough not near the volume as there once was.
Come on in, we can always use some new blood:

here's answers to a couple of your CD-R questions:
>>What would be my simplest, or best, solution? Find a CD player/burner that plays the CD-Rs OK and make copies onto new CD-Rs? (I don't know how to do this in a computer burner, so I'm going to try with an audio CD burner. So I have to use "Music only" CD-Rs, right?)

I'd reccommend a stand alone audio unit. Far less headaches. Also make sure you use good CD-R's if you want it to last and yea, "music only" is what you'll need. I had one disc that wouldn't even play in the computer but was able to transfer it on my audio burner and the copy plays fine now, even in the computer.
>>Are some brands of CD-Rs better than others?
(the following iscut from a pretty good tech site as I'm not a much of a tech myself)

Brands most often recommended: Mitsui, Kodak, Taiyo Yuden, and TDK. Sometimes Pioneer and Ricoh. It appears that HP, Philips, Sony, Yamaha, and Fuji use these manufacturers for most of their disks. (Kodak no longer manufactures media.)

Brands that are often trashed: Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, Ritek, Hotan, Princo, Gigastorage, Lead Data, Fornet, CMC Magnetics. Many "no-name" bulk CD-Rs are one of these brands.

the quality of a blank CD-R depends on what forms the dye. The three main types of dye are cyanine [green], metalized azo [blue] and phthalocyanine [gold].

Phthalocyanine CDs are supposed to last up to 100 years. Cyanine CDs are supposed to have a higher writing speed — you can burn them more quickly — but they are supposed to last for only 10 to 20 years

Exposing the disc to excessive heat, humidity, or to direct sunlight will greatly reduce the lifetime. In general, CD-Rs are far less tolerant of environmental conditions than pressed CDs, and should be treated with greater care. The easiest way to make a CD-R unusable is to scratch the top surface. Find a CD-R you don't want anymore, and try to scratch the top (label side) with your fingernail, a ballpoint pen, a paper clip, and anything else you have handy. The results may surprise you.

Keep them in a cool, dark, dry place, and they will probably live longer than you do (emphasis on "probably"). Some newsgroup reports have complained of discs becoming unreadable in as little as three years, but without knowing how the discs were handled and stored such anecdotes are useless. Try to keep a little perspective on the situation: a disc that degrades very little over 100 years is useless if it can't be read in your CD-ROM drive today.

peace,
kevin