Re: christmas music

Somehow when it gets to Christmas, I tend to head classical. I'd rather have carols sung by folks who have some sense of what they're saying (hence the desire to bury my head in the frozen sand on seeing commercials for the American Idol Christmas Special). Christmas Jazz, too, leaves me cold. The only disc I need is "James Galway's Christmas Carol." Traditional, simple, but very good. Galway leads on a couple tunes, but mostly plays obligatos along with the choir. Not really the most remarkable recording, but it's got good arrangements and good associations. Works.

Alongside this, add Britten's "A Ceremony of Carols" (which I did sing soprano on, way back in the day) and Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors," (which I never performed but still know all the words to) and I'm set.

Good morrow Masters, all,

Nathan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003FAC/qid=1070486115/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_7/103-2601615-4401464?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001VMU/qid=1070486714/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-2601615-4401464?v=glance&s=classical

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003EPE/qid=1070486558/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2601615-4401464?v=glance&s=classical

now i only own Darket Night, and want some more christmas music.

the problem is so much christmas music is overdone and poppy.

i LOVE DNOTY

are there comparisons? artists to consider? i like appalachian christmas
music too (think Pat a Pan, and rise up shepherd)

rhys