Re: northernlights

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 Ysobelle@aol.com wrote:

> On 11/1/03 1:59 PM, quoth the effervescent stationwagon@watchtan.com at
> stationwagon@watchtan.com:
>
> >http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/images2003/17oct03/Haug1.jpg
>

> My G-d!
>
> The Blond spent many years living in Iceland. I know he has seen the
> Northern Lights; I, sorrowfully, have not. I think I'm going to put the
> sighting of them on the list of things than I not only wish to do, but
> absolutely will do. When is the best time? And where? I should clarify--
> where in the U.S. that a girl could get to in her Honda? I'm in
> Philadelphia, and the only lights I see here are from the neighbouring
> airport. Not very romantic at all, alas.

you odn't like the tiny blue n red and green lights on the tracks that
tell the planes how to bring you home? i do - much more friendly than
ships with the fighters screaming in...

where to go:

dave n i have seen them in the UP - you are in Philly, go north north
north and west a tiny bit. i'd imagine you'd see something (: or come with
us to the UP, it's special

> Do they sing, the Lights? Or do they merely speak to you?

do they sing?

not really.

do they speak?

not really,

they make me sigh deep down inside, with a glittery ache. like i knew
something once, and forgot it. it makes my head spin, and i want to dance,
but stay still - for fear i'd miss one nuance. to see it with the one you
live with for the rest of your life, is something all together different.
it's a satisfying melancholic sort of joy - knowing everything from here
on out is shared, and that this kind of beauty is so rare.

some native americans used to speculate it was the souls of unborn
children dancing. i always liked that thought. maybe mine were dancing
too. barefoot, of course.

i think it looks like ice crystalising in the sun.

i would like to see it again. it never gets old.

i've seen them:
1989: VA, lonely and sad, missing the country, the sky lit up. i had no
idea they could come there, thought i was dreaming.
Northern Saskatchewan - 2 times, one red ribbon, one green undulation
Taylor U: 1, maybe 2 times, odd glow in the sky with no explanation.
Northern Michigan, this summer: green waving faint glows inthe north sky.
sitting on the beach of lake huron, 2am - i wish the night had never
ended.

rhys

--
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.