set list & comments: Chicago Sunday

I saw the show last night on Sunday Shubas in Chicago.  I was right-- the hall is what use to be Gaspars where I saw an avant garde show by Daevid Allen in the early 80s.  It looks a lot nicer, and the outdoor cafe has a lot of vegetarian options.  I still ate Indian food on Devon Street, and spotted another restaurant on Clark Street that serves rose pancakes which I'm checking out on October 1 when I return for the Shakti concert (jazz-Indian fusion band).
    The theater, Shubas, was too hot, and three people tried to fix it but it didn't make much of a difference.  No chairs and a low stage meant you couldn't see very much if you were in the back. I found an old iron stove in the back to perch on, so I was one of the only people with a seat. As a person who works on his feet, that makes a big difference to me.
    I suppose the only real issue is the backup band. I saw the band acoustic last year solo, but I didn't know most of the songs performed so it didn't make a big impression on me except for "Latter Days."  This year I knew all of the songs and enjoyed it much more; I've been playing (and selling) the new album daily at work.  The band occasionally got too rowdy and obliterated the arrangements.  This was especially true with "Bothered" where the beautiful chorus was crushed, and the second part of "She."  The guitarist, Paul Moke, is a bit more into sound effects than technique. I grew up with psychedelia and progressive rock, so I like some of weirder playing, but would suggest focusing more on technique in his solos.  At one point he came dangerously close to being a headbanger.  He plays a diverse range of guitars; sitar, slides, acoustic and electric.
1. Spinning. A moody opener. I couldn't see  Paul playing the sitar because you have to sit on the floor to play it. I'll check it out in Madison where the stage and club will be much nicer.  It didn't sound like anything very intricate--  just some coloring-- but I'm an aficionado of sitar music so I'm picky.
2. Bothered.  This song worried me; being so early in the set and it was crushed by the band.  The chorus is so beautiful, I couldn't believe the way they were pummeling it. I particularly hate it when the bass it too loud.  I feared the whole show would be like this, but it wasn't, so maybe it was just time to adjust to the sound.   I'll see how it sounds in Madison.
3. Long Lost Brother.   Great devotional song. I'm glad Linsford included Mary in the lyrcs. As a Hindu goddess worshipper I always like it if there is a reference to the Divine Feminine.
4. Show Me    The Pretenders soundalike track. I half expect Chrissie to start singing.
5. She.  Again, the vocals in the second part of the song were drowned out by the band.  Karin said the song was performed at a benefit for a battered women's shelter.  The first time I heard it, I was freaked by the line, "what she ought to do/is put a gun to your head/for the things you said and did."  Ever since a young girl decided to "shoot the whole day down" one Monday morning (I'm talking about a Bob Geldolf song for those who don't know), I've been afraid of songs that recommend such blatant violence when it's not necessary.  Still, I understand the feelings behind the song.
6. Nobody Number 1.  I like the laid-back rap style.
7.  Suitcase.  One of my favorite songs from the new album. Makes me want to take a country drive on a sunny Sunday, although I'm sure it has nothing to do with that!
8.  Professional Daydreamer
9. Ain't No Sunshine    70s soul classic by Bill Withers
10.  Ohio    Karin solo on piano.   A sublime song.
11. BPD.   Karin stays on piano
12.  All I Need is Everything.  The first and only track from "Good Dog Bad Dog."
13.  The World Can Wait.  Paul has fun with his sound effects. The drumming was too loud, but it was THE rocker of the set, so I guess that was expected.  From Films For Radio CD.
14. When I Go.  The closing blues number from Film For Radio.  This was the song that made me feel Paul should focus a bit more on technique than sound effects, but perhaps this is because I'm use to the very clean solo on the CD.  It was a clash of styles.
15. Cruel and Pretty.
16. Changes Come.  When Linsford announced they were going to play a gospel song, I was hoping for the hidden bonus track on disc two of OHIO, but this is also a beautiful song.
        I suppose the only songs I was really hoping to hear from the new album that I didn't were the hidden gospel track and "Remind Us" which I think is just an incredible track; the way Karin's voice follows exactly Linsford's piano (then again, Karin wrote this track so maybe she's playing the piano).  But these are minor points for what was a great show.  Karin was singing superb all night.     ==--==- Jai Ma-==-=- Nick