Re: Ohio on the big charts, good thing or bad?

Quoting Aaron Edwards <edwardsaaron2000 at yahoo_com>:

> I guess what I'm trying to convey (unsucessfully) is
> that reaching the big time is not enough for a song or
> an album. Sure, it is good for the artist's
> pocketbooks and egos, but, if the listeners don't know
> what the song is about, if they cannot comprehend the
> music's art (like the teeny boppers who absorbed "Kiss
> Me"), then isn't it all for nill?
> I just heard Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club,
> Choke, and Lullaby) say that when he read "The Great
> Gatsby as a teenager for High school, he could not
> understand the art and beauty, but now he is an adult,
> he can. I think this also pertains to good music that
> hit's the big charts.

Aaron, I think you have a point that the audience will be less
appreciative if OTR hits "the big time" and they might become a flavor
of the week and fall out of fashion just as quickly.  But as much as I
hate teeny-boppers, I think having a broader audience could only do
the band more good, and wouldn't you rather hear "show me" on the easy
station I listen to at work, or at the mall or wherever you are than
whatever Brittany's latest single is?  Because even though I didn't
fully appreciate Gatsby as a high school student, I'm glad I read it
and had that exposure, otherwise I might not have known that such
things had been written, and I would have been reading Left Behind
thinking it was quality literature.
I do sort of like being part of the small(ish) loyal fanbase of a less
well known band, but I'm willing to share them (I think).

Bethany