Ohio on the big charts, good thing or bad?

I have to admit, if Ohio did reach the "Big charts," I
might be a little less than enthused. I kind of like
my music to be on the unknown side. In fact, when
music I like does hit the big charts, I tend to back
away. For instance, Sixpence none the richer's "Kiss
me" was out for nearly a year before it hit the big
charts. I loved that song, for so many reasons. But
once it hit the big time, it started losing meaning.
Perhaps it's because it was literally blared on every
radio station in the world 25 times a day, or perhps
it is because I saw droves of teeny boppers singing
along, just like Leah was Brittany Spears, not looking
at the melody, not knowing about the poem Matt Slocum
based the song on.
I just did not want to associate myself with that
song.
I guess what I'm trying to convey (unsucessfully) is
that reaching the big time is not enough for a song or
an album. Sure, it is good for the artist's
pocketbooks and egos, but, if the listeners don't know
what the song is about, if they cannot comprehend the
music's art (like the teeny boppers who absorbed "Kiss
Me"), then isn't it all for nill?
I just heard Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club,
Choke, and Lullaby) say that when he read "The Great
Gatsby as a teenager for High school, he could not
understand the art and beauty, but now he is an adult,
he can. I think this also pertains to good music that
hit's the big charts.

Any thoughts? Am I just being a synical iconoclast
(again)?
> Delurking to point out that Ohio debuted at Number 5
> on the Internet album
> chart.  Can I get a woot?  (Now if we can just get
> them near the top of the
> big chart....)

=====
Century follows century, and things happen only in the present.
-Jorge Luis Borges, "The Garden of forking Paths"