Re: First Listen

Huh, a very interesting point, Ana Maria. I wonder which way Linford would
call his intention.

I think media is a more limiting factor than intent, though. If a CD could
hold, say, 300 minutes of music, would the album be substantially different?
Would we have a couple little instrumental numbers? Maybe even an alt track,
ala CRF? I'm not saying that CDs are evil because of the constraints. It can
actually be nice to have a limited amount of space and pick the silver from
the gold. Though I think that, by this time, someone could have put together
a DVD-audio format that regular DVD players can read that can hold
lots'o'minutes. Extended mixed CDs? Might be worth buying a DVD-writer after
all. If only.

Separate but related, spent some time in the studio with my sis last
weekend. I tend to sing through things a couple times, figure out what I
like, then do it. But Ange, on six successive takes, will make six separate
expressions. Makes me wish there was yet another format that could hold
multi-tracks, and only play select ones. You could set or randomize which
tracks will play: I'd like the third vocal track, with djembe and dobro,
hold the electric guitar solo line please. Would play a bit of havoc with
artistic intent, and I wouldn't really want to hand out full samples of each
track. Or I might. Not sure. But it would be darn cool. Hmm, maybe release
an enhanced CD with an app/files to do it. Just think it'd be cool, is all.

Nathan