speaking of swearing - Jesus Swore

Taken from HM magazine - The Insider Column by Staples Taylor:

"Jesus swore.

It's true.  I was in seminary studying Greek and my prof was talking about how Jesus used the strongest language to call the Pharisees piles of manure.   And so I asked my prof, "If Jesus used the strongest word for manure here, could we use the strongest word in our language to translate this?"  He said, "Yes."  You know I asked him - "And what is that word?"

He gave me the correct answer.  Speaking of, I work in the music industry.  I've had my foot in and out of it for over 20 years now.  The music industry is full of that word that Jesus said.  When you're talking about the difference between the general market and the CCM market, you're talking the difference between people that know their stuff stinks and folks that don't seem to think their stuff stinks.  I'll let you decide which industry is cleaner as I share some of the finer moments in both markets.

I was trying to get some bands into a Christian music festival - a pretty big festival.  I had sent them the promo packs and the CDs - and they really didn't need them since these bands were so well established that they actually were responsible for some of the younger acts that were playing at the fest (When I say responsible, I mean the older bands broke the ground for these younger kids to actually be treated fairly well).

Well, it took them a long time to respond to me, after I continued to follow-up repeatedly.  Finally, the gentleman I was dealing with told me, "Look, we need more punk bands - the kids want more punk bands and we have to please the kids."

Then I said....

"You know what?  You're responsibility isn't to give the kids exaclty what they want.  You're repsonsibility is to expose those kids to all the great types of music that is out there.  You're not just a marketing robot - you've got a sacred trust as a festival to teach and mature these kids..."

That's what I wish I said.

Instead I used the strongest word for manure in the English language.

Shows what I know."

Tim White
tim at wildwoodagency_com
www.wildwoodagency.com
* Bill Mallonee * Lost Dogs * Serene * Annie Quick
Ticklepenny Corner * Urban Hillbilly Quartet * 77s
Vigilantes of Love * NTJ * Doug Hoekstra *