Re: speaking of swearing - Jesus Swore

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Tim White wrote:

> "Jesus swore.
>
> It's true.  I was in seminary studying Greek and my prof was talking
> about how Jesus used the strongest language to call the Pharisees
> piles of manure.  And so I asked my prof, "If Jesus used the strongest
> word for manure here, could we use the strongest word in our language
> to translate this?"  He said, "Yes."  You know I asked him - "And what
> is that word?"
>
> He gave me the correct answer.

The only problem with this, of course, is that Jesus probably didn't speak
Greek.  What we read in the gospels is actually a *translation* of his
words, which would have originally been spoken in Aramaic, and it's always
possible the authors of the gospels adjusted his tone a little bit.  :)

Nothing tells memories from ordinary moments; only afterwards do they
   claim remembrance, on account of their scars. -- Chris Marker, La Jetee