Re: ripped off a C-Stone

Christian Lindemer wrote:
> Aaron Edwards wrote:
>
>> I don't think that Tim Lahaye has the literary
>> capacity to be ironic. Ooipsy, did I just bad mouth
>> Left Behind and the John Grisham of Christian fiction?
>> sorry, I'm an English major, with a major chip on my
>> shoulder about certain (or rather most) Christian
>> fiction authors.
>>

> A certain authority on the book of Revelation (Dr. Bob Lowery, if you
> must know) doesn't think too highly of the series, but I haven't
> personally picked one up to read it.  I'm not sure the subject is one
> that really /should/ be novelized and fictionalized.

The most convincing scholarship on Revelation I've read says that
Revelation was written in a popular genre at the time which passed
itself off as prophetic vision to be able to criticise the Roman Empire
without getting executed. Stuff like the fact that the popular Hebrew
numerology of the time renders 666 as "Ceasar Nero", and that the story
of the birth of the child is a mimicry/mockery of the story of the birth
of the god Apollo, from whom Roman emperors claimed to be descended,
etc. I'll try to see if I can dig a up a link or two if aynone wants.

- John

"Let's Be Friends" - Da Boss

--
John Paul Davis