Re: Burritoes in Over the Rhine

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Paul Soupiset wrote:

> The "old country folks" would have never called them a "burrito." Unless
> they were from California sometime after mid-20th century. Certainly not in
> Texas* or Florida. They were called tacos, and still are. Corn or Flour.

ahem:

a child of the people from the old country beg to differ.

burrito: soft flour tortilla filled with meat, beans (but no chees, unless
you're rich!) usually saerved drenched in a chili sauce .

dump a bunch of these in a pan, and you get enchilaadas, though -they
should be made with corn tortillas (tortillas maizes)

taco (taquito): street food. usually a small corn tortilla filled with
meat (carne asada, or something else). green clear hot sauce, topped with
fresh cilantro and onion. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lonches: think it's a texan micup. not sure. anyway - you can buy them
from the vendors too. it's a yeasty bread roll thing with mushrooms,
onions and meat - topped with more hot clear green stuff.

chimichanga: deep fried CT's soaked with chili sauce (cheese, if you're
rich, or have agoat)

chalupa: CT fried into a bowl shape (don't ask how, i have yet to succeed)
filled with shredded meats and beans, topped with guacomole.

quesadilla - a tortilla sandwich stuff with stuff you have left over (:
tostados: toasted ct's topped with meat, lettuce and goat cheese. more
clear green hot stuff

etc.

my favourite is the taquito - for its simplicity.

> Size of the tortilla didn't matter, nor the wrapping style. Americans
> have, in the last few decades, finally come back to understanding that
> tacos aren't those crispy-shelled ground-beef-holder-things at the Taco
> Hell, but, rawther, anything wrapped in a tortilla.

also true. sort of (:  there's no such thing as taco shells. just
tortillas.  tortillas harinas, tortillas maizes.

>  Baseball in a tortilla? A taco. Ground burro in a tortilla? a taco.
> Tortilla in a tortilla? a taco. Cheesy guy singing "Putting in the Ritz"
> wrapped in a tortilla? Taco in a taco. I *do* like California's fish
> taco invention, but the term 'burrito' has always bothered me. And hey,
> makje sure y'all aren't pronouncing that "g" in guac.

um again

yes you would. the U is a helper vowel, and linguistically changes the
sound to a hard G. even so, /ga/ would still be a hard /g/ sound. ge, gi
woudl be soft, since those are the weaker vowels. anything paierd with a
/u/ gets a different pronunciation, and the general american does it
right... gwacamolay accent on the penultimate syllable (:

now about those jalapenos (:

risa

--
If you declare love, what identifier scope does it have?