My Way vs. Yesterday

I"ve been listening to a lot of Sinatra recently.  I mean a lot.  That's about all I listened to all weekend.  I've been walking around humming a combination of Summer Wind and I Won't Dance.  I borrowed my friend Adam's Sinatra cd's and made a wonderful 2-disc 42 song Sinatra retrospective.  It's wonderful.  Adam wanted a copy himself.

So today I'm at work listening to - you guessed it - Sinatra.  My wonderful co-worker Christie is grooving on it and even implores me to make her a copy.  Then, when the cd is almost over, she asks if she can play her cd next.  I say, well of course you can.  She has Journey's Greatest Hits and the Beatles 1 cd.  She decides on the Beatles, and the most...dare I say...profound...thing happens.  After 3 days of listening to almost nothing but Sinatra, and then listening to the Beatle's early years...well...don't hate me, but it just seemed like such a let-down.  It didn't, couldn't, never will compare musically...at least in my mind.  And I do like the Beatles.

So, I don't know what my question is.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.  Where would we be if the Beatles never happened?  We wouldn't have Blink 182 and Eden's Crush possibly.  But we also would possibly not have Fleetwood Mac and...gasp!...Over the Rhine.  But I still have to wonder how we mainstream music went from Frankie to the Beatles in such a  short time.

Anyone have any similar type of 'culture shock' experience?

Or do I ramble?

Kelvin

Until you learn to realize the importance of the Banana King, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
---Jack Kerouac