Re: Boycotts are for sucks (Don's post)

   Thanks Don for the clearly defined position you take.  I have to agree
with you.  People should do the right thing whether or not it financially
hurts them.  When people make all their decisions based on money, it never
leads to good things.  Money isn't the root of all evil, but I still believe
the LOVE of money is.

   I whole-heartedly support boycotts.  Mine are Wal-Mart and products made
in China, Taiwan, Japan, etc. Whether or not MY choice ever "hurts" Wal-Mart
or the business leaders/politicians of these countries is not the point.  Of
course, I'm glad they don't get my money, because I wouldn't want to support
what they stand for or what they do to their people.  I'd rather show my
respect for the people, and not support the "attrocities" they live through,
just to make cheap flower pots for us.

   For me I can't support them with a clear conscience.  Getting a cheaper
product in the short-run is rarely cheaper in the long run; and when it
means doing so at the expense of abused workers (and I'm not referring to
Wal-Mart employees) who have basically no freedoms, is it really worth the
35 cents I saved on a package of batteries?

   Those are my opinions on the matter.  Each person has to stand up for
what they believe in whether or not they ever see "fruits" of their labor.
Many times doing the right thing isn't easy, or financially
prosperous----but it's right.  And that's why you do it.

Sincerely;
Daniel J. Summers

'fraid I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Dan.  Boycotts
can be
essential tools in communicating with big companies that have no other
priorities than making profits and driving their stock price up.  You
can write
to Shell Oil and say "hey, I don't like how you're helping the Nigerian
government kill people so that you can make more money", but as long as
they're
making money, they won't listen.  You've really only got two choices:
try to
make it more profitible to do the right thing ("we will pay you more
money if
you don't do xyz") or try to hurt ther public image to make them stop
(like