Re: Boycotts are for sucks (Don's post)

From: "Daniel Summers" <trentjerome at hotmail_com>

>    For me I can't support them with a clear conscience.  Getting a cheaper
> product in the short-run is rarely cheaper in the long run; and when it
> means doing so at the expense of abused workers (and I'm not referring to
> Wal-Mart employees) who have basically no freedoms, is it really worth the
> 35 cents I saved on a package of batteries?

Do you really believe the buyers at Wal-Mart make a conscious decision to
make a profit at the expense of "abused workers who have basically no
freedoms"?  I'm sure there are ways in which folks in all of corporate
America could seek to show more responsibility in this area.  However, to
state your case as if a companies buyers are doing there job with a callous
screw-you-to-the-sub-poverty-level-Nicaraguan attitude might be a little
short-sighted.
Besides, who is abusing the workers in these nations?  It's their own
"higher-ups", not the folks in Benton, Arkansas.  We bitch and moan all day
long because our country does nothing to help the plight of poor nations.
Then when our companies provide jobs for the folks in those countries - even
if their motives might be self-serving - we bitch and moan because the
workers are abused by their own countrymen.
Which way is it going to be?

Go ahead...pick me apart...I'm ready...: )

Kelvin