Re: Dubya causes chaos in the Heartland...

liesel: my dad was there a year, and i am very proud
of him too.  and from what he says, there's _a lot_
we, as civilians, are not privy to.  i wonder how much
sometimes when i look at the gap b/w good intentions
on both of these left and right agendas. maybe that
information would have us more or less on the same
page?  but that will never happen.

amy raven said:

> objective of the Gulf War
> > was not to depose Saddam Hussein, it was to
> protect Kuwait.

i don't understand why these two cannot be one in the
same...in basic strategy (given the extreme nature of
what had taken place), they are!

> > who are *we* to command the moral high ground?)

i don't know who we are intrinsically to take this
place, but the idea of "america" began as such (at
least in concept...you can blame columbus' earliest
writings to the king of spain if you want!).  and here
we are.  we are powerful.  regardless of how we
attained that power, it comes with responsibility.
maybe think of it as some way of paying for our past
sins :)

sarah said:
> Are some innocent people more worthy of protection
> than others?

in the grand scheme...no.  in our scheme: yes.  if you
personally had to choose which people would die: a
family way far away vs. your own...and one would die
regardless of our wishes against such, which family
are you going to choose?

i'm not saying we are in the midst of some all-out
kill or be killed existance all the time...if i did,
i'd be going against so much of what i truly believe
:)  but timing is everything.

i do think, though, that some times (as greatly as it
bothers me) we do make a choice.  and i'm being honest
when i say i want to save my own family.

-j. marie

=====
All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful. -Flannery O'Connor