re: Dubya causes Fear, Doubt, and Uncertainty in the Heartland

Well, since this is a community and different opinions are given some
consideration and a few grains of salt, I thought I'd send an email from
waaaay over here in the wings.  Some of what I write may sound like fact
instead of opinion, this is not to say I fully believe everything
herein, just that I believe the Possibility that it Could be true ...
Let's start with a cut and paste from the internet just to set the tone:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Consider this: An inarticulate, politically inexperienced man with
family links to a previous national regime comes to provincial
leadership. Subsequently he gains the highest national office without
winning the popular vote. The election in which he was declared the
victor is considered compromised by his brother's province. He appoints
a chief law enforcement officer who has repeatedly called for
constitutional revisions.  Regulatory agencies are filled with those
previously regulated. Soldiers patrol transportation centers.
International treaties are abrogated. International legal organizations
are shunned. Roles of police and military are blurred. Law enforcement
agencies are centralized. Individual civil rights are reduced. A
"shadow" government is created.  Domestic surveillance is increased.
People are encouraged to spy on each other. Military budgets are
increased. The military establishes a disinformation program. Media
access to government is limited. Consultations with the legislative
branch decline. Connections to corrupt corporate sponsors are
disavowed.  Efforts to further plunder natural resources for profit are
initiated. Access to past administrations' documents is limited. A war
mentality is established with imprecise enemies. Nebulous fear- inducing
alerts are periodically released. National level profiling is
introduced. People are imprisoned without public charges and unknown
others are 'disappeared.'"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My point so far is that, at a certain angle, these proceedings take on a
nefarious air.  Now there are a few historical points I'd like to make.
First, the Washington Post reported in August of 2001 that John Ashcroft
would no longer be flying  on commercial airlines due to "security
concerns".  Second, the Texas Oil has been courting the Taliban since
1997 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/west_asia/37021.stm  and
reportedly had met with the Bush administration in August 2001 when
talks ended abruptly and divisively.  Third, FBI operatives report their
efforts being stymied preceeding 9/11.  Fourth, while every single
domestic and international flight in the U.S. was being grounded on
September 11, the only plane in the sky was a private jet whisking the
Bin Laden family away.  On that last point, though the safety of the
(presumably innocent) Bin Laden family may well have been at risk here,
it implies advance knowlege and/or detailed intelligence information for
our government to make that decision within hours of the attack.  Now we
are fighting a "War" (as yet undeclared) against an unseen enemy.  War
is Peace.

It is widely believed that Hitler allowed the 1933 burning of Reichstag
in Berlin.  While it was officially blamed on Dutchman Marinus van der
Lubbe, it provided the catalyst Hitler needed to suspend all civil and
democratic rights and consolidate power.  We as Americans need to
carefully safeguard our freedoms and liberties.  These things will creep
up on us slowly.  It starts with statements like "There ought to be
limits to Freedom" and "a dictatorship would be easier".  The next step
up is saying something like "There are reminders to all Americans that
they need to watch what they say, watch what they do, and this is not a
time for remarks like that; THERE NEVER IS.'' (emphasis added)  Finally,
something like a list becomes created.  First it starts with a small
number of people who, although they have commited no crimes, are poor
and might have peripheral connections with crime or terrorist agencies.
The public accepts this readily in the face of national security. Soon
the list will grow to include dissidents.  But that's OK, if you're not
using your civil liberties, who need 'em?
http://www.local6.com/sh/technology/stories/national-technology-163299720020826-110826.html

Is anyone aware of Operation Northern Command?  We're talking Martial
law in the USA, vast warehouses of national guard riot gear being
stockpiled in Montana.  Bush says he's going to congress to "make his
case" on Iraq but he's already publicly said that not ousting Saddam is
"not an option".  It's the unilateralist, manifest destiny way at which
we are going about this that truly frightens me.  So when you make
comparisons to Adolph Hitler, think for a minute:  The rest of the world
isn't comparing him to Saddam Hussein.

George Orwell makes Nostradamus look like a piker.
-jas